Robocop (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Joel Kinnaman Confirmed to Star in ROBOCOP Remake

After a lengthy search for the lead, last week we learned that MGM had offered The Killing star Joel Kinnaman the titular role in its remake of the 1987 sci-fi film RoboCop. Now Deadline reports that the deal has closed, as director José Padilha has finally landed his RoboCop in Kinnaman.
Source: http://collider.com/joel-kinnaman-robocop-2/149892/

What say you? Tropa de Elite was awesome, we'll see how this goes.

Eeeeh...I see this going badly.

pass.

If it turns out to be kinetic and interesting like Tropa... Although Hollywood machine would probably like to chew it and spit something closer to PG-13 and mediocre.

Doesn't look interesting.
What I really wanted to ask: Chee, what is that movie in your signature?

redfan wrote:Doesn't look interesting.
What I really wanted to ask: Chee, what is that movie in your signature?
I'd say Supernatural.

The problem with any subsequent RoboCop movie is going to be its lack of Verhoeven satire and wit which made the first one great.

Also, Clarence Boddicker is never likely to be topped as a villain.

I also have my doubts about it, but this is what I think: The first Robocop is very much one of those excellent Verhoven B-Movies (full of violence, satire and dark humor) and that's what makes it so good. Frank Miller's script for Robocop 2 was pretty much butchered by the studio that tried to make it into a Hollywood movie. Though it was a step down, I liked it too. The third one is not worth mentioning. So, like the Batman franchise in the 90's, Robocop died, but now (and mostly thanks to Nolan and what he did with The Batman) it has a good chance to redeem itself.

I don't think they will (and should not) pick up the character the way they left it. A whole new (updated) approach will be required (but I hope they use Verhoven's as a reference). That would explain the choice for Padilha to direct. But this choice also looks to me like a risky bet, since this will be his first Hollywood production. His previous Elite Squad films are very good (specially the screenplay, which he is also one of the writers) but they're not big budget-action packed films. I'm curious to see what he'll bring to the table and I do have high hopes for this.

And for those who have not seen the Elite Squad films, check it out, it's worth it. :twothumbsup:

DrunkOnAbsinthe wrote:The problem with any subsequent RoboCop movie is going to be its lack of Verhoeven satire and wit which made the first one great.

What he said.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

DoubleD wrote:
DrunkOnAbsinthe wrote:The problem with any subsequent RoboCop movie is going to be its lack of Verhoeven satire and wit which made the first one great.

What he said.
So true.

The remakes of both Total Recall and Robocop will be NOTHING like their originals. Which is FINE actually!
It will be interesting to see other director's take on PKD's fantastic stories. I want more of this, more interpretations from different directors.