Thread For Terrible Movie News

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LelekPL wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Why is this terrible news. It's not like this film requires the audience to see it on the big screen. This just means we'll get to see the movie faster.
It's terrible news for the filmmakers involved. Most directors want their works to be seen on the big screen, not on someone's telephone.

Artemis wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 12:58 pm
LelekPL wrote:
Why is this terrible news. It's not like this film requires the audience to see it on the big screen. This just means we'll get to see the movie faster.
It's terrible news for the filmmakers involved. Most directors want their works to be seen on the big screen, not on someone's telephone.
Financially it’s really not. It’s possibly the best decision they could’ve made. The film got backlash due to its portrayal and potential glorification of Bundy, and somewhat lukewarm-to-positive reviews, so it’s really difficult to gauge how much they could’ve earned from a theatrical release. But it’s gained momentum on social media (some of which is super unfortunate - i mentioned it above, but some of it’s already causing genuine discussion) and with releases of shows like “you” people most likely WILL watch this on netflix. They should use that attention to their gain and drop the film as soon as they can.

I mean yeah, in a perfect world all films would be seen in cinemas, but this may actually have a better chance shown via a streaming service.

Ruth wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 1:09 pm
Artemis wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 12:58 pm
LelekPL wrote:
Financially it’s really not. It’s possibly the best decision they could’ve made. The film got backlash due to its portrayal and potential glorification of Bundy, and somewhat lukewarm-to-positive reviews, so it’s really difficult to gauge how much they could’ve earned from a theatrical release. But it’s gained momentum on social media (some of which is super unfortunate - i mentioned it above, but some of it’s already causing genuine discussion) and with releases of shows like “you” people most likely WILL watch this on netflix. They should use that attention to their gain and drop the film as soon as they can.

I mean yeah, in a perfect world all films would be seen in cinemas, but this may actually have a better chance shown via a streaming service.
I think these are really good points.

I know most filmmakers would love it if their work gets a theatrical release, so skipping that and going straight to VOD has got to be embarrassing to some extent.

But yeah, financially it makes more sense. I assume they got their money back and then some through this deal.

Joe Berlinger made both the Ted Bundy Documentary and Film, so I can imagine he already has a good working relationship with Netflix. The articles did mention that the movie would get a limited cinema release to qualify for awards next year, so I don't know why people are complaining. I can't imagine it being like Roma were people are saying "This was made for being at the cinema". If it's Zac Efron who makes this movie work and nothing else, then I'm glad it went to Netflix.

I actually have this book because Karina Longworth recommended it a while ago and I saw it in a bookstore when I went out the next day.

This...does not look good.

why is all this dubbed hilariously poorly

-Vader

Disney+ comes out pretty much everywhere in Europe in March, but Scandinavia has to wait until the summer.

Fucking fuck that. Last time I had to torrent a TV series because it was just not available in my country was ten years ago. But I'm not waiting six months for The Mandalorian and I'll never ever pay for Disney+.

Stop moaning, Poland's not even on the list yet so it could have been worse.

Not gonna lie, that just makes me more mad.