Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Well, One From the Heart does have componentry that feels very Coppola-ish, and then everything else has been to pay that off.

I think Tetro is a very good film as well.

Cop 223 wrote:When you folks judge a director overall, do you consider their career as a whole or their greatest achievements? Is Coppola's master decade so good that it negates his lesser work?
Depends. It's a delicate issue.

I judge a director's full filmography. However, context is important when talking about directors. It's not that easy to just look at the quality/quantity ratio and then proceed to make statements.

Yes. Coppola might not be the most consistent director... nor is Godard or Bergman. Nor is Hitchcock. However... they all are top tier directors and pretty much legends for a single reason. They proved themselves way too many times of being able to create something that's truly spectacular. They reinvented or reinvigorated cinema. That is the context that I'm talking about. You cannot possibly forget that or ignore that simply because they also failed.

Their greatest achievements contribute a lot to their status.

aside from The 'Batch and maaaaaaybe Martin Freeman

Stephen Colbert was one of the best things about Smaug.

Cilogy wrote:aside from The 'Batch and maaaaaaybe Martin Freeman

Allstar wrote:

okay well her too

Interesting that Lily is now credited after McKellen, Freeman and Armitage. For the last film the place was occupied by Cumberbatch.£

Allstar wrote:

Did you just say 'maaaaybe' Martin Freeman? I watched it last night and guy is brilliant, hobbit in pajamas, on an adventure. He also emulated Ian Holm perfectly in few scenes.

some missed opportunities opportunities that come to mind:

Shallow Hal could have been something really special in the hands of someone like Alexander Payne or Spike Jonze

motherfucking In Time could have been on the level of The Matrix if it wasn't a writing and acting mess, though Cillian was great, and actually he would have been perfect in the lead role instead of Timberlake

I'm sure there are lots more.

Brace yourself. I have no idea what I'm getting into here:
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith has Williams' best score of the series

Cilogy wrote:motherfucking In Time could have been on the level of The Matrix if it wasn't a writing and acting mess, though Cillian was great, and actually he would have been perfect in the lead role instead of Timberlake
I agree, Timberlacking didn't really do a good job with it.

I personally liked the concept of the film but it sort of fell flat on the execution.