Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:If you really think that The Departed is Scorsese's best then you're in for a treat, because clearly you haven't seen enough Scorsese films.

Not that it's bad or anything. It's a lot of fun. But just no.
I'm not trying to say it is objectively, but I like it better than all of his other films (the ones Ive seen, and Ive seen plenty) except for Taxi Driver. It's my opinion. That is all.

Well, you can't really say it is, objectively... no one can make genuinely objective statements about a film overall since opinion and perspective is going to inform everything to some degree, but I'd say that it's not even better than The Aviator, much less the likes of After Hours, The Last Temptation of Christ, and The Age of Innocence.

There's a wonderful depth to Scorsese's filmography that doesn't often get talked about. Personally I find it almost makes the gangster films a bit dull to both talk about and watch compulsively. I prefer Marty when he's adventurous.
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...

On the topic of Scorsese, Hugo should not have been nominated for any of those Academy Awards.

BlairCo wrote:On the topic of Scorsese, Hugo should not have been nominated for any of those Academy Awards.
Hugo is garbage

Yeah I didn't like it either. I felt it was a waste of my time.

Mr. Caine wrote:
BlairCo wrote:On the topic of Scorsese, Hugo should not have been nominated for any of those Academy Awards.
Hugo is garbage
But Hugo is still better than Shutter Island and Gangs of New York.

Mr. Caine wrote:
Hugo is garbage
The Oscars are garbage.

BlairCo wrote:
Mr. Caine wrote: Hugo is garbage
But Hugo is still better than Shutter Island and Gangs of New York.

thezodiacspeaking wrote:
Mr. Caine wrote: Hugo is garbage
The Oscars are garbage.
That too.

I didn't like either Hugo or Shutter Island. I liked Gangs of New York the first time I saw it, but it lost any magic it had quick. Still, I'm probably gonna watch it again sometime in the near, just to make sure.

The only thing that makes Gangs of New York an 'ok' film is Daniel Day-Lewis' performance. There's just too much in the film to keep up with.