Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
MyCocaine wrote:
shauner111 wrote:^Christmas Vacation reigns supreme.
I literally just saw it the other day.

I hated it.
You hated Chevy Chase? He's hilarious in that, I watch it every year with Home Alone. Since I was a kid.

Honestly, my favorite Christmas films (excluding Rankin/Bass specials) is probably:

The Muppet Christmas Carol (w/ Michael Caine as Scrooge)

Perfect spin on what an adaptation is. It stays extremely true to the book, while adding in the classic Muppet humor and brilliant songs (written by Paul Williams) that people have come to expect. I'm surprised that more people don't bring it up.

And @MyCocaine: Home Alone is a poor man's Christmas Vacation.

A Christmas Story is the best Christmas film. It's that rare film that is not only critically acclaimed and adored by audiences, but is looped for 24 hours straight on two major networks here in the states on Christmas Day. There's a reason, 30 years later, the movie is as popular as ever.

Slow West deserves the same attention from these forums than Sicario does.
Not sure how controversial this is, but given the near-universal acclaim Villeneuve's film received on these forums, it's very possible that this might prove a contentious opinion.

Now, here's the disclaimer. I loved both films (though Slow West more... a lot more), and the comparison only exists to make a point to be understood.

Forum Pro
Law
"That's why plan A, is a lot more fun."

One of the worst lines of dialogue spoken by an actor (not an extra) in any Nolan film. Such a serious scene about saving life on Earth and formulating plans to do so, they couldn't think of a better expression?

Law wrote:"That's why plan A, is a lot more fun."

One of the worst lines of dialogue spoken by an actor (not an extra) in any Nolan film. Such a serious scene about saving life on Earth and formulating plans to do so, they couldn't think of a better expression?
It's a pretty mainstream movie, not a documentary. One liners like that are pretty common.

Forum Pro
Law
m4st4 wrote:

It's a pretty mainstream movie, not a documentary. One liners like that are pretty common.
BUT IT'S NOLAN

Bringing some levity into a conversation about human extinction and how to avoid it seems natural. Nolan's worst line is from TDK when Morgan Freeman says "see those bad guys on the floor above, they're waiting to ambush the SWAT team coming up the elevator". A couple of scenes later Batman says "this city just showed you that it's full of people ready to believe in good" is which is the second worst line I can think of.

Law wrote:
m4st4 wrote:

BUT IT'S NOLAN
Precisely. Ever saw a Steven Spielberg movie, just to name one example?

the Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan is by far the weakest battle scene in the whole movie