The Revenant (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
shauner111 wrote:
CoolwhipSpecial wrote:Hey, mindless action movies are the shit.
Only if it's well shot with a character that's compelling, at least. Unless it's so bad that it creates laughter, then you can enjoy it that way of course.

Fury Road is almost a mindless action movie. But look at how well-made that movie was.
Never would I consider MMFR mindless. The average viewer might easily think that, but someone who paid attention to the subtext and brilliantly-minimal-yet-dynamic dialogue should think otherwise. But I won't go further than that because this isn't the MMFR thread.

Speaking of lack of dialogue, I'm not overly worried about a lack of dialogue in The Revenant being an issue (see MMFR comment above). Just from what I've seen/heard about the movie, I would never expect it to be a "talky" affair. In fact, if it was, it would probably seem quite unrealistic, considering the type of frontiersmen the movie portrays.

Master Virgo wrote:Hmm looks like they are comparing this with Malick films. Such a pity. Now Allstar won't like it.£
As I've said in the past I have liked many films compared to Malick before, lol. Jesse James and Ain't Them Bodies Saints to name a couple. Malick's visuals are gorgeous, that is not my issue with his films.

From what I gather from the reactions is this will get a great critical response with some detractors (Similar to Wolf of Wall Street which some critics wrongly accused of lacking depth) for reasons Vader has said. I read the script and always saw this as a classic and somewhat simple survival/revenge tale. The depth would need to come from DiCaprio's performance to add something intangible.

Baniac wrote:
shauner111 wrote:Only if it's well shot with a character that's compelling, at least. Unless it's so bad that it creates laughter, then you can enjoy it that way of course.

Fury Road is almost a mindless action movie. But look at how well-made that movie was.
Never would I consider MMFR mindless. The average viewer might easily think that, but someone who paid attention to the subtext and brilliantly-minimal-yet-dynamic dialogue should think otherwise. But I won't go further than that because this isn't the MMFR thread.
:lol:
Not to beat a dead horse but Fury Road has plenty moments of mindless actions. There are far to many strange editing decisions made in this movie. The way it cuts from an intense event unfolding on screen to an random and dull reaction shot for then to cut back again is baffling.
There are so many unnecessary cuts.

MyCocaine wrote::lol:
Not to beat a dead horse but Fury Road has plenty moments of mindless actions. There are far to many strange editing decisions made in this movie. The way it cuts from an intense event unfolding on screen to an random and dull reaction shot for then to cut back again is baffling.
:lol: so now you're saying that strange editing decisions, like going for a reaction shot, makes it mindless? Nolan does this a lot.

Baniac wrote:Never would I consider MMFR mindless. The average viewer might easily think that, but someone who paid attention to the subtext and brilliantly-minimal-yet-dynamic dialogue should think otherwise. But I won't go further than that because this isn't the MMFR thread.

Speaking of lack of dialogue, I'm not overly worried about a lack of dialogue in The Revenant being an issue (see MMFR comment above). Just from what I've seen/heard about the movie, I would never expect it to be a "talky" affair. In fact, if it was, it would probably seem quite unrealistic, considering the type of frontiersmen the movie portrays.
I said almost mindless.

I agree with the rest.

shauner111 wrote:
:lol: so now you're saying that strange editing decisions, like going for a reaction shot, makes it mindless? Nolan does this a lot.

You're twisting my words. What I am saying is, that going from a motorcycle being run over by a truck to a reaction shot of both Hardy and Theron inside the truck for then to show us what happened to the motorcycle is senseless. Why would you make that cut? What's the idea behind giving us that reaction. Why not play it in one shot with no bland reaction shot attached. There is an almost identical shot in Road Warrior and that is played entirely in one shot. I wish I could just show you the scene since my description of it doesn't do it justice.

Jenelle Riley ‏@jenelleriley 15h15 hours ago

Every actor in The Revenant is excellent. But I think Domhnall Gleeson impressed me the most.

Jenelle Riley ‏@jenelleriley 5h5 hours ago

@scottleggs Me too but I had never seen him play authoritative before. He was excellent!
and he's going to play authoritative again soon. :ugeek:

MyCocaine wrote:
shauner111 wrote:

You're twisting my words. What I am saying is, that going from a motorcycle being run over by a truck to a reaction shot of both Hardy and Theron inside the truck for then to show us what happened to the motorcycle is senseless. Why would you make that cut? What's the idea behind giving us that reaction. Why not play it in one shot with no bland reaction shot attached. There is an almost identical shot in Road Warrior and that is played entirely in one shot. I wish I could just show you the scene since my description of it doesn't do it justice.
quick editing makes action more frenetic as opposed to playing that action out in one shot

Michaelf2225 wrote:quick editing makes action more frenetic as opposed to playing that action out in one shot
That's all good but there is already 6-8 shots in this little scene so I don't think a generic reaction shot adds anything but confusion. It's a five second scene and all it has to show is the motorcycle being demolished under the truck. It's a editing mistake. The action in the scene takes place outside and yet it decides to cut back to Hardy for no apparent reason. He is not responsible nor is he involved with the event. Am I the only one who has a problem with this?