Greatest and Worst Plot Twists of all time?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
NoMoreDeadCops wrote:
Tristy wrote:
Which twist?
Am I supposed to answer and then get yelled at for thinking the twist was one thing when in fact it was something else due to its ambiguity? I will not fall into such a trap!

Plus, you know the twist I'm referring to. The big one near the end. :facepalm:
The way I see it, there are two twists.
The first was the fact that Laeddis had been a patient of the very asylum he had believed he was investigating. The other was that though the treatment Ben Kingsley's character had advocated proved itself a success, Laeddis couldn't live with the reality that he killed his wife and had a breakdown, and so he feigned relapse and surrendered himself to death by lobotomy.

I feel that the latter more than makes up for the former.

Tristy wrote:
NoMoreDeadCops wrote:
Am I supposed to answer and then get yelled at for thinking the twist was one thing when in fact it was something else due to its ambiguity? I will not fall into such a trap!

Plus, you know the twist I'm referring to. The big one near the end. :facepalm:
The first was the fact that Laeddis had been a patient of the very asylum he had believed he was investigating. The other was that though the treatment Ben Kingsley's character had advocated proved itself a success, Laeddis couldn't live with the reality that he killed his wife and had a breakdown, and so he feigned relapse and surrendered himself to death by lobotomy.

Bioshock

Cilogy wrote:
Allstar wrote:Best-

Inglourious Basterds
I don't think that's so much a twist as it is just a change in character motivation.
it is a twist.

Allstar wrote:
Cilogy wrote: I don't think that's so much a twist as it is just a change in character motivation.
it is a twist.
Thank you. Someone who knows a twist when they see one.

NoMoreDeadCops wrote:
Tristy wrote:

the plot twist in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull sucks fat cock.
President and Chief Financial Officer of The Official Faora Fan Club Est. 2013

Seven
Memento
The Prestige
Following
The Sixth Sense
Signs
Inception's was small but interesting
Knowing (not the best but I liked it)
Shutter Island (I liked it, anyway)

I hated the Happening. I was like....riiiiiight.

Heres an article in the Guardian that explores the question of Shutter Island's ending:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog ... and-ending

Lehane, the books author:

"Personally, I think he has a momentary flash," he suggests. "To me that's all it is. It's just one moment of sanity mixed in the midst of all the other delusions."

One of the film's psychiatric advisors, James Gilligan of NYU:

Andrew does indeed choose his fate. According to Gilligan, those cryptic last words mean: "I feel too guilty to go on living. I'm not going to actually commit suicide, but I'm going to vicariously commit suicide by handing myself over to these people who're going to lobotomise me."

The articles author concludes that he was probably faking it, and I agree with him:

A second look at the film suggests that Gilligan's reading must be right. In his final murmurings, DiCaprio is clearly trying to act as if he's acting. After uttering that last line, he leaps up and strides purposefully into the midst of the waiting lobotomists; they don't have to jump him. So why all the mystery? Why weren't things just made a little bit clearer?

Perhaps we can guess. According to Gilligan, "Martin Scorsese said this film will make double the income because people will have to see it a second time to understand what happened the first time." So Marty at least may have known what he was doing. Shutter Island has already become his highest-grossing picture to date.

So yeah, there is a post-twist twist.

Oh and the ending to low budget Friday the 13th ripoff Sleepaway Camp is both the best and the worst twist of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IWDmfAcrAk

Did any of you see Fight Clubs twist coming before it happened? I know 2 friends of mine who did, I never did myself but after replays Ive noticed how many clues they gave you. They gave you quite a few.