Fight Club (1999)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
So this is some kind of movie? Hm.

Fincher went mainstream with TSN. Of course it is his best work!

Vader... no.

Fight Club is my favorite Fincher film, and I do think it's the best made out of all of his films. Se7en closely follows.

I met Fight Club at a very strange time of my life.

But in my opinion, Seven was better.
(The main reason being Kevin "fucking" Spacey.)

Leonardo DiCaprio is in this movie.

Mr. Caine wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
What's your criticism of The Social Network?

-Vader
It's a very well made film.But you know that critics compared it to citizen kane?I mean what so effin special about it?
Yes, they did. Did you even bother to read what context in which they made the association or did you just 'hear about it', since I'm almost positive it's the latter. Citizen Kane is a picture that pioneered film as a high-art form through a narrative focusing on the dehumanization of the modern man in the corporate world. Holy shit that's what Social Network (and Fight Club) are about!

Anyway, if anyone has an argument or can pick out a hole in my logic, be my guest, but so far I just see a bunch of people going "yeah you're wrong because I'm right haha".

The Social Network is an expertly crafted film from a technical standpoint- has what may be one of the best scripts of all time but certainly in this age of film, kinetic editing and has what I consider to be the best ensamble casts in any film. Boasting wonderfully realized themes through each and every character-each persecutive is human.

See, Zuckerberg is just a socially awkward kid. I mean, he is, he really is. He doesn't understand how to interact in a flattering way, just (mostly) strictly on what makes sense- he doesn't butter up what he says and he appear largely hostile, he honestly didn't understand why they didn't 'get his sense of humor' or why Erica told him to fuck off in the bar- but then, he's right. He didn't steal anyone's idea, he had a better one, and his analogy regarding the chair is spot on. Yes, he misled them, but guess what, that's almost always what it takes to become successful- and let me ask you this, you don't think they'd have done the same to him? Please. You think he's a huge douchebag for betraying his best friend? Nope. In fact, he begged and pleaded Eduardo to come out to Cali and live with them, stay with them, but he stubbornly refused, and if they hadn't met Sean Parker, The Facebook may never have become what it is today, it would've failed- as we saw Eduardo's methods amounting to nothing. That's reality, and when he couldn't cope with it, he lashed out at Mark and almost killed the entire company. He betrayed Mark first because he didn't listen. Mark kicked him out not out of selfishness, but because he was deeply hurt his friend almost fucked over his dream project but most of all himself. Who wouldn't be extremely hurt?

The spectrum of emotions the twins, Eduardo, and Mark all feel represent the broader nature of the human condition- we may all be 'right' from a logical perspective, and if even if we're not, to be successful you have to lose some of yourself along the way, and ultimately, it's immaterial to self satisfaction and content, attempting to satiate yourself with things subject to change that we don't need. We try to fill the voids in our life by arbitrary accomplishments that amount to little in the context of what matters and benefits us as people and further- this damages the collective whole of society.

That's why The Social Network is his best film, and why it should be remembered as a classic. It perfectly represents the modern world and the decaying soul of the modern man.

/rant

-Vader

But Vader, everything you just stated is your own opinion on the matter. None of that is fact at all, so I really don't know what you're trying to do. Yes, you're backing up your own opinions with facts that you can relate to and facts that YOU think make it his best film/one of the best of all time.

Peoples opinions differ. You are not really proving anything here.

Vader182 wrote: The Social Network is an expertly crafted film from a technical standpoint- has what may be one of the best scripts of all time but certainly in this age of film, kinetic editing and has what I consider to be the best ensamble casts in any film. Boasting wonderfully realized themes through each and every character-each persecutive is human.

See, Zuckerberg is just a socially awkward kid. I mean, he is, he really is. He doesn't understand how to interact in a flattering way, just (mostly) strictly on what makes sense- he doesn't butter up what he says and he appear largely hostile, he honestly didn't understand why they didn't 'get his sense of humor' or why Erica told him to fuck off in the bar- but then, he's right. He didn't steal anyone's idea, he had a better one, and his analogy regarding the chair is spot on. Yes, he misled them, but guess what, that's almost always what it takes to become successful- and let me ask you this, you don't think they'd have done the same to him? Please. You think he's a huge douchebag for betraying his best friend? Nope. In fact, he begged and pleaded Eduardo to come out to Cali and live with them, stay with them, but he stubbornly refused, and if they hadn't met Sean Parker, The Facebook may never have become what it is today, it would've failed- as we saw Eduardo's methods amounting to nothing. That's reality, and when he couldn't cope with it, he lashed out at Mark and almost killed the entire company. He betrayed Mark first because he didn't listen. Mark kicked him out not out of selfishness, but because he was deeply hurt his friend almost fucked over his dream project but most of all himself. Who wouldn't be extremely hurt?

The spectrum of emotions the twins, Eduardo, and Mark all feel represent the broader nature of the human condition- we may all be 'right' from a logical perspective, and if even if we're not, to be successful you have to lose some of yourself along the way, and ultimately, it's immaterial to self satisfaction and content, attempting to satiate yourself with things subject to change that we don't need. We try to fill the voids in our life by arbitrary accomplishments that amount to little in the context of what matters and benefits us as people and further- this damages the collective whole of society.

That's why The Social Network is his best film, and why it should be remembered as a classic. It perfectly represents the modern world and the decaying soul of the modern man.

/rant

-Vader
EPIC. The film is genius. It is actually Fincher's best film with ease.

Fincher's best is Zodiac.

:twothumbsup:

Mason01 wrote:But Vader, everything you just stated is your own opinion on the matter. None of that is fact at all, so I really don't know what you're trying to do. Yes, you're backing up your own opinions with facts that you can relate to and facts that YOU think make it his best film/one of the best of all time.

Peoples opinions differ. You are not really proving anything here.
Well that's just it... he's defending his opinions using basic logic and providing solid and as of yet, uncontested reasoning. Nobody else in this thread has yet to do so... he's never marketed his stance as a fact...