Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Wonderful.

Maybe the best cinema experience of the year. I did not think much of the score on first viewing though, that’s my big quibble. Ford is also better here than he was TFA.

9.5/10 first viewing.

Can we talk about the furnace scene?
It felt like K was aproaching the answer to the ultimate question: Who are we and where are we going next? And somehow I didn't want to know the answer, it made me uncomfortable.
Also, about the ending shot.
It's alright but like I hinted in my review I would've preferred just K in the snow, without the actual reunion.

m4st4 wrote:Can we talk about the furnace scene?
It felt like K was aproaching the answer to the ultimate question: Who are we and where are we going next? And somehow I didn't want to know the answer, it made me uncomfortable.
Also, about the ending shot.
It's alright but like I hinted in my review I would've preferred just K in the snow, without the actual reunion.

To your second spoiler tag I 100% agree.
We didnt need the reunion besides to see Ford being a great actor
Also does anyone think Ford can get an Oscar nom? His role is actually pretty small, but the impact he makes is huge and has a lot of heavy scenes.

He was good, but imo no way. Not that good.

so is tjis goid or nat? the rankibgs in villenues thread are weird. #drinkaf

EDIT: cant find china release date. thank gooodbess. dudnt want.to watch anyways

It's almost as good as Power Rangers ninja.

Anyway, on with the spoilers.
K gives his life in the end so that someone else can have that human connection, but not him. Standard Hollywood movie would give Joi a body, or at least let her stay with him, but here it's the opposite. I love K as a character, he is most definitely...

Real Human... bean.

I was not expecting how much of a strong reaction I was going to have with K and Joi. Especially with her being a program/product, but it really worked.

Evocative and gripping. In terms of imagery and sound, this was the perfect balance of what a sequel to Blade Runner should be. I am really glad that the story is ambiguous like this because that's how the original made me feel regardless of how many times I watched it. I think Zimmer/Wallfisch definitely needed more romantic/classical notes in this but it did well for the most part anyways. Gosling and Armas are my MVPs from this film, along with Deakins.
I do agree with others that the full circle of the story is a little bit irritating, but only to an extent for me. When they introduced the revolution, I didn't really take it as a main focal point because it was more about how K is not the typical hero trope and essentially what it means to be human (something that was given and taken from him without being the master of his own fate, and how his decision to still swing for Deckard was more powerful because of the reveal).

The dynamic between Roy and Luv is a more seeable, but it's interesting to compare Roy with K instead - Not so much about their "final" moments but more on their journey to it. Luv is just an animalistic replicant that is a hunter for Niander whose closest Alpha presence is to Roy. The comparison for me is that both Roy and K showed some sense of free will to save the same man that they didn't know much about. They're kind of polar opposites to each other with the same end. Roy was seeking for answers on how to validate his short existence and K searches for his own existence and to validate if his world is even real or not. I think K is the anti-Roy. K could have said "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe" in 2049 and after witnessing the difficult journey he took, I might be inclined to believe him.

I think a Blade Runner that can answer every question is not really a true adaption (that's not me attempting to salvage what others might deem as story plots or anything). This is probably why I admire this movie quite a bit right now.

Leto was definitely underutilized in his role, because he did shine every time he spoke.
It's a no-brainer that you should watch it at least twice to fully digest what is going on
9/10

Blade Runner 2049

Thrilling experience, but not without some predictability and a final act which nearly becomes dumb. It also could have used some trimming, which means it pales in comparison to D-Ville's last two works.

Miles better and more engaging than the original film, for me.

8/10