Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
My main gripe with this film story-wise is also
the rebellion and the underground movement bit. And I think not because it was left as a loose end, together with Wallace,
sort of inviting for a sequel, but that it actually happened here. It just seems like a cliche. I remember watching this and the moment the underground group is finally introduced as they come to pick up wounded K, I had this short "OH.." thought. Like, K as a whole perfectly worked as a character for me (topped with what I think was a great performance by Gosling), and I wonder if this could have been something really special without (or at least done a tad differently) the upcoming revolution thing, because it just made K's fate so bleak to me. The whole movie we follow him and it seems like it's about him (and I'm not talking about the possibility of him being the child, since I didn't think he'd really end up being it), but then we find out it's not about him at all, it's about this revolution, once again a much higher purpose, a miracle - the actual kid we'd only seen for like 2 minutes before, and it's done in a weird, slightly cruel fashion. I had this a little gloomy feeling lingering throughout the end of the film, but now that I'm thinking about it, it does kinda feel like being hit by a couple of bricks. I'm not sure how much of a "negative" it actually is, because maybe it's intentional (thx for playing my feels then),
but I just ended up feeling really bad for K, and this whole higher ideal thing doesn't really resonate with me when done like that.

I think I'll see this again though, so I might feel different by then idk.
I think it's a great movie though, I didn't feel its length in a negative way and I was sooo into it when watching.

Ruth RE the 'lingering' topic:
It's that Denis/Hampton commit two mortal sins in how they handle the overall plot. First, they detonate a few plot bombs on us, drawing our attention away from the metaphysics of the thing and totally towards the story. Which, okay fine. But the whole climax I kept expecting those plot elements--Wallace / revolution-- to enter back into the fray. For the finale to cleverly bring full circle everything we're hearing and what's happened. The replicant army might show up at the steps of Wallace's tower, for example. Anything. And the longer I watched the more I realized they were not, in any way, planning to bring the plot full circle at all. And that anti-climax was so disruptive for me.

But there's the other issue, too. The second mortal sin. It turns out that the entire plot of 2049 is a conflict between powers greater than ourselves, greater than K. It's Wallace vs the revolution in search for a missing miracle child, and not only does neither group end the movie having accomplished anything (meaning the central conflict of the entire movie is completely unresolved), it also makes K's personal story a 'cog in a plot machine' instead of a totally meaningful arc unto himself alone as a protagonist.

And while perhaps the story is taking the heaven or hell themes of the first one to an extreme, if so those archetypes are totally unearned and don't really make sense. He goes from being the hero of Blade Runner 2049 to being a disposable foot soldier. It hurts the emotion and meaning of the whole story.

Hoping I don't feel this way after I see it again.

-Vader

I actually enjoy the addition of a revolution, as it enhances the world of Blade Runner (although as for these enhancments, I think Joi was a much more interesting addition) and then leaving it without a resolution. Because ultimately K's decision and mission was not about the revolution, stopping or starting it, it was on a smaller scale but a more improtant one - delivering a father to his daughter. And I loved that. That exemplified K's humanity more than anything that despite the scale,
that was the most important sacrifice.

What do people think about the score? Is it more unique or more like the original? Does it sound like Zimmer?

Not watching this until Sunday sadly.

@Vader, yeah. It's a more elaborate explanation of how I feel, I think. It doesn't ruin the film for me, but it's something to think about until after I've seen it again.
I just wanted to give K a big hug lol. From seeing him being treated like shit by others, to how the only "human-like" connection he could ever have is with a freaking hologram, it builds an empathic link between the audience and a character, you expect him to reach something at the end of his "journey", and it just... doesn't happen at all? It just cuts off? Maybe there shouldn't have been such a strong emphasis on his own personal world if they were just gonna regroup like that at some point of the movie and toss him aside, except for "delivering a child to her father".

So I'm not even sure if it's the actual plot point I don't "agree" with or just how it got there, because I kinda like depressing shit. It's just that it's... jarring here? I don't even feel like I'm making a ton of sense but ugh idk lol.
Speaking of the score, I actually liked it quite a bit? Certain bits of the soundtrack, coupled with the cinematography (<3) were HIGHLY atmospheric, it had its blockbuster-like moments like someone already mentioned, but I liked it in general, like did some people just expect a copy paste from Vangelis? Wouldn't that have pissed them off even more lol?

Sanchez wrote:What do people think about the score? Is it more unique or more like the original? Does it sound like Zimmer?

Not watching this until Sunday sadly.
At times he tries to emulate Vangelis, they even use a Vangelis' track at one point. At times he's most definitely Zimmer. Overal it's a good soundtrack but doesn't leave an emotional impact on you as much as the original.

Ruth wrote:@Vader, yeah. It's a more elaborate explanation of how I feel, I think. It doesn't ruin the film for me, but it's something to think about until after I've seen it again.
I just wanted to give K a big hug lol. From seeing him being treated like shit by others, to how the only "human-like" connection he could ever have is with a freaking hologram, it builds an empathic link between the audience and a character, you expect him to reach something at the end of his "journey", and it just... doesn't happen at all? It just cuts off? Maybe there shouldn't have been such a strong emphasis on his own personal world if they were just gonna regroup like that at some point of the movie and toss him aside, except for "delivering a child to her father".

So I'm not even sure if it's the actual plot point I don't "agree" with or just how it got there, because I kinda like depressing shit. It's just that it's... jarring here? I don't even feel like I'm making a ton of sense but ugh idk lol.
Speaking of the score, I actually liked it quite a bit? Certain bits of the soundtrack, coupled with the cinematography (<3) were HIGHLY atmospheric, it had its blockbuster-like moments like someone already mentioned, but I liked it in general, like did some people just expect a copy paste from Vangelis? Wouldn't that have pissed them off even more lol?
Do you think if there wasn't a "revolution" but instead just a small group of replicants that helped Deckard and Rachel,
that the ending would have worked better for you? Since I do for me at least.

-Vader

Zimmer was in full blockbuster mode while writing the score.

A few bombastic outbursts felt really out of place.

The most impactful use of score was lifted directly from Vangelis.

Frames within frames. Interlinked.
Sounds within sounds. Interlinked.
Cells within cells. Interlinked.

...Interlinked.

*spoiler-free
The original Blade Runner (1982) wasn't a love at first sight/oh boy, here comes Rachel in high heel staccato mode deal for me. First time I saw it, sometimes in the early 90s, CRT monitors were still a thing and, without overthinking it much, I believe it was the original cut that graced our small screen at the time and made me wonder why Deckard was such a, frankly, mellowy prick. An asshole, if you like. I was certainly intrigued by it as well, especially by the early bloodshot interrogation scene, but many years will pass before my true appreciation of Ridley Scott's science fiction masterpiece, adaptation of Philip K. Dick's essential existential novel Do androids dream of electric sheep? If you want me to answer the usual question, I will give you the usual answer: The Final Cut, of course. Is there any other way to enjoy Blade Runner these days? But I do believe, and quite strongly, that the real question isn't about Deckard's true origin, or noodle soup, or bad Japanese, but our own struggle when faced with the cold and definitive mortality.

Let's get onto 2017 business, shall we. Onto Denis Villeneuve's crazy ambitious (and generally crazy) take on the idea that is the Blade Runner sequel. A daunting task that, no matter how you choose to spin it, will draw comparisons to original on a molecular level. Thank the gods, then, because Blade Runner 2049, for the most part, is its own beast to be reckoned with. When you see Ryan Gosling's LAPD, Peugeot sponsored flying car for the first time, gliding through the vertigo inflicted cityscape of a far future megapolis, I guarantee you (at least) one thing: you will see it through the lenses of modern masters - Roger Deakins and Denis Villeneuve, and not Jordan Cronenweth and Ridley Scott, respectfully. Where other filmmakers barely emulate and copy-paste and re-visit for the sake of nostalgia, conservatism or market-safe, whichever you prefer the most, these guys are doing their own thing entirely, from the opening shots, accompanied by more than competent Vangelis successors (I was worried about that segment the most): Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch, who are doing this weird, unexpected twist on almost meditative, certainly melancholic and romantic overtones of the original, where the old school synth sound methodically goes from ominous citywide depths, this utterly decadent bass darkness, to sacral heights and relevatory cosmic monk chants. In BR2049, everything is more sinister, more in-decay... hopeless. And that is good. The world has moved into even darker territory since 1982.

The acting here, as expected, is top notch and on a similar level with the rest of the production pedigree. Gosling once more proves that he is the young master of self control, with carefully planted outbursts of energy that never drops below his standard, James Dean/Paul Newman Cool Hand Joe. His officer K is the true hero of this new cyberpunk story and his epic quest of self discovery made me emotionally invested throughout the movie, to a point where I really didn't feel the need to see Deckard, ever again. But as you know from the trailers, Harrison Ford is very much in this movie and I won't spoil his part other than mentioning couple of tiny things: he's almost as good as Solo from The Force Awakens and there's a specific point near the end where I felt he definitely needed to take a step back in favor of our newly found hero, but even that moment was done with grace, creating a full narrative circle. All the girls in this movie were standouts in their own way, similarly to Mad Max: Fury Road recently. From excellent Robin Wright, as K's 'mommy' (or, the closest we'll get to see her playing Snake Eater's legendary Boss), to poignant, bizzare, unique take on A.I. by Ana de Armas. Star-proven Mackenzie Davis, a hooker with a rebellious heart, does a solid job as well, but the real star in the making here is Sylvia Hoeks, a deadly angel-replicant, made by the godly Neander Wallace (trippy Jared Leto doing his take on Master Splinter). She is, at all times, both stunning to look at, elegant, and entirely capable of killing anyone who stands in the way of her master, in a matter of seconds. One of my favorite scenes in the movie features her character Luv, officer K and a water tank, nuff said.

Blade Runner 2049 is one of this year's greatest cinematic achievements and, along with other post 2000 masterpieces, one of those movies that remind me why I love movies in the first place. It's thought provoking, moves at its own editing pace (180 turn from your standard modern blockbuster), tries to tell a complete story that isn't a sequel bait even with all the lore snippets scattered across the nietzschean landscape and, for the most part, delivers on the promise of a unique, uncompromised vision. Will it ever escape the looming shadow of the truly great original? No, never. But the legitimate way of analyzing it on its own terms will definitely be there even some five, ten, twenty years from now. It won't give you anything you haven't already seen so many times and in so many, audio-visual or literary forms, but god damn you if BR2049 doesn't at least make you gasp at the sheer vastness of details that are filling the entire frame here. It's rich with subtext even if the script itself goes for the laser focused detective mystery, more than the disjointed, meditative nature of the impactful original. And that moment when you hear the rain drops for the first time, drip-drip-dripping, all over metallic, rusty, neon-lit skyscraper surfaces that yearn to see the light of the day again? Priceless.

M4: 10/10
*This is my 50k post on this site (I don't care how the other posts got deleted for whatever reason). I've been here since 2010. I would like to thank You - all of my friends from NolanFans, you are constantly enriching my personal 'library of Babel', with your great taste and even better recommendations. Stay frosty.

Oku
Curious, how do you know that it's your 50,000th post, when the post count below your name says 49,826? Is there another way to keep track of post count?

And LOL at MyCocaine in damage control mode.