Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
BlairCo wrote:
I felt that the two of them ending up together really undermines their entire dynamic.
How does it undermine it and what was their entire dynamic?
-Vader
They found luxury in each other because of their differences to other people. She may be the yin to his yang, but having Pat being obsessed with his ex-wife and then suddenly switching his feelings to Tiffany, I could have seen it coming from a mile away. I was really expecting Pat to realize he can't have what wants, and that he can still be the best person without having that special thing.

BlairCo wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
How does it undermine it and what was their entire dynamic?
-Vader
They found luxury in each other because of their differences to other people. She may be the yin to his yang, but having Pat being obsessed with his ex-wife and then suddenly switching his feelings to Tiffany, I could have seen it coming from a mile away. I was really expecting Pat to realize he can't have what wants, and that he can still be the best person without having that special thing.
It was not sudden at all.

Kinda agree w Blair
Sigs???

BlairCo, I like you, and Braked you know you're my main man, but I'm not sure where to start.....
The note he gives to her followed by the kiss and the zoom out that creates a shot when combined with the atmosphere reaches Capra-esque level? The lines of dialogue that mirror the beginning, showing that Pat has truly learned the things he needed to learn? Chris Tuckers character (and if you didn't love him you need to black it up) finally out of the Baltimore facility and chilling with Pat's wonderful mom? Bobby motherfucking D getting his restaurant working and, by the looks of it, frustrating Randy further? The two beautiful(I mean internally) characters finally finding what will probably be their only chance at something we all want? Danny Elfman's godlike soundtrack?
Yeah, about those last five minutes...

I'm not saying that either of you are wrong, because you both consistently bring solid insights. I'm just not sure about this one.

I thought the film was rather predictable, but that doesnt mean it wasn't executed nicely.
The two things were the moment they needed a five mentioned during the bet, I knew they would get exactly that and celebrate like crazy, even then I did enjoy it quite a bit. The fact they would end up together was rather predictable, and I am torn on if that is what I wanted to happen. I can see where Blair is coming from.

banepants wrote:BlairCo, I like you, and Braked you know you're my main man, but I'm not sure where to start.....
The note he gives to her followed by the kiss and the zoom out that creates a shot when combined with the atmosphere reaches Capra-esque level? The lines of dialogue that mirror the beginning, showing that Pat has truly learned the things he needed to learn? Chris Tuckers character (and if you didn't love him you need to black it up) finally out of the Baltimore facility and chilling with Pat's wonderful mom? Bobby motherfucking D getting his restaurant working and, by the looks of it, frustrating Randy further? The two beautiful(I mean internally) characters finally finding what will probably be their only chance at something we all want? Danny Elfman's godlike soundtrack?
Yeah, about those last five minutes...
No, I liked how they pulled it all off, I just don't like that they went in that direction.

Fair enough banepants fair enough
Sigs???

Yeah, the movie is pretty damn predictable, but this style of movie isn't really supposed to be anything except for predictable. Had they gone in a different direction with the ending, it would have been a fat pile of shit.
Edit:
I thought about the way you wanted to see it end, and while I see where you're coming from, and Pat could be his best person without someone else, where does that leave the beautiful, sweet character of Tiffany?
Last edited by Sandy on January 24th, 2013, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

banepants wrote:Had they gone in a different direction with the ending, it would have been a fat pile of shit.
+1

The pause and use of close ups to the stunned face of Pat on their first meeting alone demonstrates the spark between them, at least what he felt towards her. Later, he struggles with facing the reality he's attracted and almost bewitched by this woman, notably as he's struck by seeing her naked back. He's scared by the intimacy he feels towards her, and this is the primary reason she did all this in the first place- thus why she chose dance, something that will likely spur real emotion from him towards her, something she obviously wants. The development of their relationship is explored patiently and with care throughout the film, which is something unique to itself compared to typical indie fare. The relationships and catharsis felt towards the end are earned, because of the deliberate manner in which they evolve. From Pat reading the letter to his charisma towards training going into the climax, it becomes explicit Pat embraced his feelings for her, meaning the entire third act of the film we already know he's chosen her. I didn't think the 'ending' was 'predictable' since the film directly indicates to you who he's chosen.

Having been in a similar situation involving women before, it was almost uncomfortable for me to see how accurately it depicts struggling to move on from a serious relationship with someone obviously magnetic.
-Vader