IMAX vs 3D

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
akv1984 wrote:
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:Avatar in 3D is one of the greatest movie going experiences ever.
Obvious troll is obvious.
I'm a troll? I'm not joking in the slightest. :roll:

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:You guys are all just saying IMAX cause that's what Chris likes. :roll:
It's a simple fact that IMAX film stock captures the highest quality moving image on the planet...

I'll just throw out a single set of numbers that doesn't even go into color and latitude. Natural resolution of 15/65mm; 18K. Highest resolution digital device; 5K. Actually resolution displayed at the cinema; IMAX: 8-18K, Digital 3D: 2-4K. Now please, shut up.

And as stated before... the two aren't even mutually exclusive...

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote: I'm a troll? I'm not joking in the slightest. :roll:
I honestly thought you were.

I didn't like Avatar at all. Didn't like the 3D and just overall it was a bad film. Visually it was great, but that's it. It wasn't that great of a theater experience for me.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:Avatar in 3D is one of the greatest movie going experiences ever.
True... but you missed something.

Avatar in IMAX3D is one of the greatest movie going experiences ever. (just in 3D it's nothing spectacular)

I don't remember the 3D experience at all, other than that I had a compulsion to swat embers from my face when the humans were laying waste to the forest. :lol:

I remember it was quite impressive at the time, but I can't relive any of the 3D when I try to remember it now. And I have a ridiculously good visual memory. It's just something that doesn't stick with me.

Crazy Eight wrote:
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:You guys are all just saying IMAX cause that's what Chris likes. :roll:
It's a simple fact that IMAX film stock captures the highest quality moving image on the planet...

I'll just throw out a single set of numbers that doesn't even go into color and latitude. Natural resolution of 15/65mm; 18K. Highest resolution digital device; 5K. Actually resolution displayed at the cinema; IMAX: 8-18K, Digital 3D: 2-4K. Now please, shut up.

And as stated before... the two aren't even mutually exclusive...
Exactly right, which is why far down the road 15/65mm 3D is going to be fucking mindblowing. I appreciate 3D immensely when used properly (only Avatar and Tron have used it effectively for live action), but there's no question the IMAX footage of The Dark Knight is likely the highest quality and most striking image not only in my blu-ray collection, but perhaps I've seen in any theater, particularly at my Navy Pier IMAX. The opening wide to the building is absolutely jaw dropping.

Honestly, I'm not even sure how there's a debate between 3D and IMAX, for the reasons Crazy posted. IMAX wins, there's no question or opinion involved.

-Vader

I prefer IMAX over 3D. I even prefer 2D over 3D.

3D is fvcking awful right now, absolutely hate it.

IMAX please.

I kinda asked this but nobody said shit...

What about IMAX3D? :facepalm:

RIFA wrote:I kinda asked this but nobody said shit...

What about IMAX3D? :facepalm:
I said stuff....

I see how it is.

-Vader