Blu-Rays: Release Dates And Discussions

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
PowerDump wrote:Gosh why the hell is each film in the LOTR Extended edition split into 2 discs? Can I expect a third release of the trilogy? I think that was one of the things people looked forward too quite a bit (the films being on one disc).
It was done to preserve better quality

then how is it films like "apocalypse now" (which is longer) can fit on one disc?

Syncopy54 wrote:then how is it films like "apocalypse now" (which is longer) can fit on one disc?
These are longer, for one. For two, there's other content on each disc.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Syncopy54 wrote:then how is it films like "apocalypse now" (which is longer) can fit on one disc?

-Vader
Couldn't they have done one disc for the long movie and the other content on another disc or two?

PowerDump wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Couldn't they have done one disc for the long movie and the other content on another disc or two?
Not really. All the audio commentaries, etc. This way it leaves more than enough room for quality transfers.

-Vader

The original isn't longer than 2 and 1/2 hours, so it fits on one disc.

You know a movie's too long if it can't fit on a 50 GB disc...

Crazy Eight wrote:You know a movie's too long if it can't fit on a 50 GB disc...
Yeah something still doesn't seem right with that, I'm expecting the absolute best quality transfer that makes all other BDs look like a regular DVD.

PowerDump wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:You know a movie's too long if it can't fit on a 50 GB disc...
Yeah something still doesn't seem right with that, I'm expecting the absolute best quality transfer that makes all other BDs look like a regular DVD.
It won't have any better quality... that's not why they're splitting it up. They're splitting it up because of the films length, to preserve quality and not have to reduce it to fit on a single disc. To give you an idea, Avatar is 162 minutes and used 44 GBs of disc space, and that film has a first rate transfer. The Return of the King extended cut runs 251 minutes... do the math. They need the extra space to preserve a quality transfer.

251 min.... too fucking long!
Say Girl