What was the last movie you've watched? II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Django - 3/5

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:

Spoilers will be abound, so read with caution if you haven't read the books or seen the film.

As shown by my history with Lord of the Rings, LOST, and Battlestar Galactica, I have the capacity to become deeply, deeply involved with characters and their stories, but unlike the aforementioned franchises, no series has been a part of my life as long as this one. Let me tell you, I stayed in on this past Friday night just to sit and come to emotional terms with just what I experienced Thursday night from 12:30-2:40 a.m., to try and digest it, understand it. I had a similar reaction to LOST's conclusion, but much like that, I was unsuccessful. This film hit me harder than any other since Inception, and do trust me when I say, that is saying something.

The film Adaptation has this marvelous quote: "I'll tell you a secret. The last act makes the film. Wow them in the end, and you've got a hit. You can have flaws, problems, but wow them in the end, and you've got a hit. Find an ending, but don't cheat, and don't you dare bring in a deus ex machina. Your characters must change, and the change must come from them. Do that, and you'll be fine." I live and die by this quote, firmly believing that in storytelling, the ending is everything, and that is something Nolan has known from the start of filmmaking. In fact, he's said numerous times he first discovers the ending, and then writes to it, a brilliant way of building each story. Rowling and her adaptees understood this to great effect, and it shows- - it's nearly perfect.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, two films birthed from a single script, somehow managed to put such an emphasis not on fiery spells or soaring broomsticks, but on these people we've come to know as friends, through all manner of hardship and disaster, and somehow, I felt as though I walked with Harry through the forbidden forest with his most dearest and loved to whatever end, with eyes swollen and cheeks wet. I was not alone. The production design rivals nearly any film to recent memory, the score, cinematography, everything, absolutely topnotch. Yates discovered, even if a bit late into his control of the franchise, letting the camera linger permits the viewer to be swept into the dare I say, epic, vistas with ease, resulting in perhaps what might be some of the most beautifully staged action sequences ever. Particularly noteworthy was the re-imagining of the soon to be iconic final confrontation between Harry Potter and Tom Riddle, and much like nearly the rest of the entire film, the grace and wonder of the spectacle - - and what a spectacle it is, only carries the immense weight it does because of the finely crafted storytelling and character this beautiful series has built through deep emotion and connection.

Neville's triumph, long awaited kisses, and Professor Mcgonagall revealing herself to be the badass we always hoped she would be- - perfectly executed moments weren't rare, from the tender dancing sequence between Harry and Hermione in part 1, to escaping fire-manifested beasts to the full assault, the cutting between Harry and Voldemort's minds, even each Horcrux exploding in scream and fire. Some of these weren't even in the book, yet here they are, working effortlessly into the narrative, and to perfect effect. Harry's role, perhaps reinforced by Dan's best performance of the series, was torturous to watch, demanding the viewer submit to the plight Harry must face in the end.

Despite the emotional fallout of Harry's march to the woods and the chest pounding intensity of the battle afterwords, nothing approaches what may be amongst the moments I've been most touched in a movie theater, the flashback sequence belonging to my favorite character of the series, Severus Snape. My theater's audience was all but still and silent, only muffled crying, even my own, could be heard. It was beautiful.

As was this whole film. I have a number of complaints, none of them relevant, as they affected my viewing experience so absolutely little. Though, it should be noted the effects in the epilogue were sometimes used to disastrously hilarious results. Let's be quite frank, Ginny's face looked ridiculous, as did plenty of other people. ...it was bad. Even so, I was unyieldingly emotional throughout. Beyond that, my viewing experience wasn't comprimised in the slightest by anything, even the rude people in my theater's audience. That thread where we post our best experiences at the cinema? This is on it.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was as close to being perfect as I ever could have hoped it to be, nailing and sometimes improving upon every significant moment from the books, but even with its flaws, maintains as being a marvel of modern cinema. Even in what many of you will think is an overlong review, I feel as though I'm selling this film short, not acknowledging additional amazing moments or elements, such as the best performances from most of the cast from the series. I will miss this series dearly, and think of it often, but Harry Potter, those with him, but perhaps most of all, Severus, will continue to be very close to me for many years to come.

All was well.

-Vader

Xmen First Class - 5/10. Almost worse than x3.

A telepathic battle between Professor X and Emma Frost was going to be in the film, but upon the release of Inception the concept was scrapped.

Imdb is good for trivia. I did not know Brando was an asshole either and made Francis want to kill himself.

tykjen wrote:Imdb is good for trivia. I did not know Brando was an asshole either and made Francis want to kill himself.
lol. no. Watch Hearts Of Darkness A Filmmakers Apocalypse... you'll understand.

Ah, gotcha. I have not gotten to see it yet after I got the Bluray in the mail. Looks like I need to check it out right now.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II - 9.0/10

1. Best Harry Potter movie.
2. The best part of the film is the score, which is AMAZING.
3. The scene with Snape's memories was so touching and great...
4. Neville is a badass 8-)
5. I hated the ending
6. But loved the battle scenes
7,8,9,10. Sorry, but I forgot what I wanted to say :facepalm:

I thought the premise of the ending was great. It was just executed poorly on film. It gave the series a feeling a completeness; it made a full circle. The music choice at the ending was absolutely perfect.

Addicted2Movies wrote:I thought the premise of the ending was great. It was just executed poorly on film. It gave the series a feeling a completeness; it made a full circle. The music choice at the ending was absolutely perfect.
That's why I hated it.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt.2
9/10

Alberto and Addicted2Movie have already pointed out what I was gonna mention. ;)

Alberto wrote:Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II - 9.0/10

1. Best Harry Potter movie.
2. The best part of the film is the score, which is AMAZING.
3. The scene with Snape's memories was so touching and great...
4. Neville is a badass 8-)
5. I hated the ending
6. But loved the battle scenes
7,8,9,10. Sorry, but I forgot what I wanted to say :facepalm:

Seen it in IMAX3D? TDKR trailer? I'm going Monday so I wanna know.. :lol: