Django Unchained (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
He turned down Inception, The Matrix, and Django Unchained that I know of (I don't follow Smith so I'm sure there's more). And in that time frame (1999-2011), sure, he's been in several decent films, but none overly challenging or creatively competitive with the three previously listed. On top of that you have the fact that he hasn't been in a movie in 3 years so you'd think out of all people who would want a career boast like this it would be Smith. But like another member said he can have fun making fluff sequels like Bad Boys and Men in Black if he so chooses. Whether contractually obligated or not (which you have no basis to make the claim that that's the reason for every single one of the opportunities he's past up), the simple fact is that Will Smith is making a habit of turning down meaty, creative, and challenging roles in favor of fluff.

Crazy Eight wrote:He turned down Inception, The Matrix, and Django Unchained that I know of (I don't follow Smith so I'm sure there's more). And in that time frame (1999-2011), sure, he's been in several decent films, but none overly challenging or creatively competitive with the three previously listed. On top of that you have the fact that he hasn't been in a movie in 3 years so you'd think out of all people who would want a career boast like this it would be Smith. But like another member said he can have fun making fluff sequels like Bad Boys and Men in Black if he so chooses. Whether contractually obligated or not (which you have no basis to make the claim that that's the reason for every single one of the opportunities he's past up), the simple fact is that Will Smith is making a habit of turning down meaty, creative, and challenging roles in favor of fluff.
+1
everyone consider him as one of the most powerful stars in Holywood now. bootsy you really don't think that he has no serious offer these days and the poor guy has to play roles in ridiculous projects like Bad Boys, Hancock or Men in Black sequels to be able to live, do you ?

I always question if people actually read my posts people respond to.

Bootsy, I explained that for a good chunk of projects with creative integrity, Smith is offered the lead so that director's can secure a budget. They offer all kinds of roles to him, and he picks the ones that require him to act the least (for the most part).

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:I always question if people actually read my posts people respond to.

Bootsy, I explained that for a good chunk of projects with creative integrity, Smith is offered the lead so that director's can secure a budget. They offer all kinds of roles to him, and he picks the ones that require him to act the least (for the most part).

-Vader
I always question people that try to make a point that has nothing to do with what I said you were incorrect about initially. Going back and restating your position after I called you out on it doesn't mean I didn't read your post.

You stated that he turns down EVERYTHING, some of the biggest films creatively and box office wise in the last 10 years. Which is not true. Yeah you state that directors do that Your "friends" listed 2 films: Inception and The Matrix(which was not 10 years ago). Django Unchained may turn out to be big creatively and box office wise but that isn't everything. You didn't even state the films that he turned down more than likely because you didn't really know and just said it without doing any research. Furthermore, you can go through a who's who of actors that have turned down roles in big films and a lot more than TWO. Like I said you don't have anything factual to base what you said in your original post that I said was incorrect.
mastervirgo wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:He turned down Inception, The Matrix, and Django Unchained that I know of (I don't follow Smith so I'm sure there's more). And in that time frame (1999-2011), sure, he's been in several decent films, but none overly challenging or creatively competitive with the three previously listed. On top of that you have the fact that he hasn't been in a movie in 3 years so you'd think out of all people who would want a career boast like this it would be Smith. But like another member said he can have fun making fluff sequels like Bad Boys and Men in Black if he so chooses. Whether contractually obligated or not (which you have no basis to make the claim that that's the reason for every single one of the opportunities he's past up), the simple fact is that Will Smith is making a habit of turning down meaty, creative, and challenging roles in favor of fluff.
+1
everyone consider him as one of the most powerful stars in Holywood now. bootsy you really don't think that he has no serious offer these days and the poor guy has to play roles in ridiculous projects like Bad Boys, Hancock or Men in Black sequels to be able to live, do you ?
Where did I say he doesn't have serious offers. All I said was that what Vader posted was incorrect about him turning down everything and some of the biggest movies box office wise and creative wise. That is simply not true. I would love to see him in this movie but he has his reasons for not wanting to do it that none of us know about. For that I am not going to say like Vader did that he turns down everything.

You stated that he turns down EVERYTHING, some of the biggest films creatively and box office wise in the last 10 years.
Dude, you're taking what he said way too literally. Of course he doesn't turn down absolutely everything.
Yeah you state that directors do that Your "friends" listed 2 films: Inception and The Matrix(which was not 10 years ago).
Vader said 10+ years... and he turned down Django...

Django Unchained may turn out to be big creatively and box office wise but that isn't everything.
:problem:
You didn't even state the films that he turned down more than likely because you didn't really know and just said it without doing any research
He didn't have to because I gave examples...
Furthermore, you can go through a who's who of actors that have turned down roles in big films and a lot more than TWO.
So?

:wtf:

-Vader

I didn't know he was even considered for Inception??? :wtf:

So, Django Unchained looks pretty good.

solo2001 wrote:So, Django Unchained looks pretty good.
It could be the greatest movie ever.

solo2001 wrote:So, Django Unchained looks pretty good.
Django whaaaaat?