Your Favorite Movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:25 films from the entire world library... why would anyone put Prestige, specifically. As much as I admire it, it depresses me.
I don't see a problem with The Prestige being on someone's top list. Also, lists do change from time to time, it's not like we've seen every single existing movie and our choices are definite.

11072014 wrote:
m4st4 wrote:25 films from the entire world library... why would anyone put Prestige, specifically. As much as I admire it, it depresses me.
I wouldn't mind seeing The Prestige on a 25 list, it just annoys me that if I want to put Gravity, I have to include Prestige. It's as if it's a fucking joint package.
I prefer Prestige myself. But I totally agree with you there. Your 25 should be whatever you want. Screw everybody else

anonymity wrote:
11072014 wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing The Prestige on a 25 list, it just annoys me that if I want to put Gravity, I have to include Prestige. It's as if it's a fucking joint package.
I prefer Prestige myself. But I totally agree with you there. Your 25 should be whatever you want. Screw everybody else
Exactly my point.

Frankly, I'm too scared to do these 'definitive' all time lists, too many choices.

Bacon wrote:Yeah but when [Gravity's] on the list and films like The Shawshank Redemption aren't, it's sorta confusing.
Bacon wrote:Gravity's on your list but The Prestige is not. :blank:
Mhm.

11072014 wrote:
I wasn't meaning that Gravity and The Prestige are joined, that was just one off the top of my head that everyone here knows. If you really truly believe Gravity is one of the best films of all time, okay I guess, it's still just baffling to me as there are so many better films in my opinion.
m4st4 wrote:Exactly my point.
Except it's not your point since you JUST said that if you saw The Prestige on someones list it depresses you. Which is basically my problem here with Gravity....?

Bacon wrote: I wasn't meaning that Gravity and The Prestige are joined, that was just one off the top of my head that everyone here knows. If you really truly believe Gravity is one of the best films of all time, okay I guess, it's still just baffling to me as there are so many better films in my opinion.
Oh, I don't think it's in the best 25 films I've seen, it's just one of my 25 favorites.

Out of the films you've seen though, Gravity could very well be one of the best films you've seen.

I really gotta say something about these lists that bothers me sometimes.

I feel like people get so caught up on films that accompany the cliche of being among the greatest films of all time that they find it difficult to be honest about what they actually believe are the greatest films of all time.

Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather and Vertigo are 3 films I always see on The Greatest Films of all time list and to be frank I'm kinda tired of it, especially Vertigo. I love these films but of all the movies made in the history of cinema and people seem to be stuck on Shawshank Redemption being one of them. Well maybe it is but it's okay if someone ranks 25 other films over it.

Also you have to remember that there are SO MANY wonderful films in the history of cinema that even if you make a top 100 that 100th film is still a phenomenal film it's just that there are 99 other amazing films too. Kinda like most people rank Insomnia lowest on there Nolan ranking but it's not cause it's a bad film it's because Nolan is just so damn good all his films deserve to be ranked high but they can't you have to choose.

I also feel like sometimes people are full of crap about how high they rank films of a certain caliber cause they want to impress people. Which is why I respect people who have the most off the wall list cause you now at least they are for real. Sometimes I think we even lie to ourselves subconsciously about what we like cause we think we're suppose to.

11072014 wrote:
Bacon wrote: I wasn't meaning that Gravity and The Prestige are joined, that was just one off the top of my head that everyone here knows. If you really truly believe Gravity is one of the best films of all time, okay I guess, it's still just baffling to me as there are so many better films in my opinion.
Oh, I don't think it's in the best 25 films I've seen, it's just one of my 25 favorites.
Ah ok. That's a little more understandable.
11072014 wrote:Out of the films you've seen though, Gravity could very well be one of the best films you've seen.
No.

anonymity wrote:I really gotta say something about these lists that bothers me sometimes.

I feel like people get so caught up on films that accompany the cliche of being among the greatest films of all time that they find it difficult to be honest about what they actually believe are the greatest films of all time.

Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather and Vertigo are 3 films I always see on The Greatest Films of all time list and to be frank I'm kinda tired of it, especially Vertigo. I love these films but of all the movies made in the history of cinema and people seem to be stuck on Shawshank Redemption being one of them. Well maybe it is but it's okay if someone ranks 25 other films over it.

Also you have to remember that there are SO MANY wonderful films in the history of cinema that even if you make a top 100 that 100th film is still a phenomenal film it's just that there are 99 other amazing films too. Kinda like most people rank Insomnia lowest on there Nolan ranking but it's not cause it's a bad film it's because Nolan is just so damn good all his films deserve to be ranked high but they can't you have to choose.

I also feel like sometimes people are full of crap about how high they rank films of a certain caliber cause they want to impress people. Which is why I respect people who have the most off the wall list cause you now at least they are for real. Sometimes I think we even lie to ourselves subconsciously about what we like cause we think we're suppose to.
Sure, a person can go off Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB to choose their top 25 lists and there's nothing to do to stop them, but who cares? It's all subjective. If someone wants their list to cater to what they think is the popular opinion, so what?

:problem:
:blank: