Your Favorite Movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Armand to the rescue.

These are my favorite films, not the ones I consider the best. But that's a faulty proposition too, since both are subjective qualifications, one personal, one proposing some measure of objectivity. For instance, Andrei is almost certainly a better film than Stalker, and yet, I like Stalker more. It's more to my taste. It's topics, it's make, it's style, all resonate with me deeply. But, I can't deny every second of Andrei is a sequence of masterstrokes. My knowledge and comprehension of cinema promotes this understanding, but it's MY knowledge and comprehension. So should I compartmentalize what my education and understanding leads me to believe are the ten best films to have ever been put to celluloid, or should I allow that education, along with taste, be the prime indicator on my list?

That said, as I described above, I do believe Inception to be a marvelous piece of work. By any kind of an 'objective' scale I could invent, which I couldn't, it would certainly be in the top 75. When I say "objective' I usually mean well reasoned, or, not the usual it made me feel A.) B.) C.) and D.) so it must be great. Not all opinions are argued equally.

Also, Armand, Kurosawa does more in the ten minute opening of Ikiru than most filmmakers do in their entire career. But, I'm surprised you don't think Seven Samurai has much to say on social hierarchy/mobility, honor, responsibility, social chaos, and an overall dogma of proper action. Despite it's Western make, what's beneath the surface is as, if not more, Japanese than anything in Ozu's filmography.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:The core of Inception revolves around the suspect objectivity of reality, and further, our suspect subjectivity of it. Drawing from the philosophies of existentialism and metaphysical solipsism to answer these questions, Nolan contends faith is the answer.
I shot myself in the fucking face when I read this man this hospital has terrible wi-fi

1. Inception
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Prestige
4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
7. Seven Samurai
8. The Godfather
9. The Godfather: Part II
10. The Tree of Life
11. Gravity
12. The Empire Strikes Back
13. Raiders of the Lost Ark
14. Memento
15. There Will Be Blood
16. Children of Men
17. The Dark Knight Rises
18. Skyfall
19. Moonrise Kingdom
20. Drive

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Mulholland Dr.
3. Inglourious Basterds
4. Melancholia
5. Inception
6. Oldboy
7. The Matrix
8. Apocalypse Now
9. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 & 2
10. The Dark Knight
11. Se7en
12. The Departed
13. Amélie
14. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
15. Children of Men
16. 2001: A Space Odyssey
17. City of God
18. Minority Report
19. A Clockwork Orange
20. Strange Circus
21. Antichrist
22. Lady Vengeance
23. Audition
24. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
25. Let The Right One In

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Mulholland Dr.
3. Inglourious Basterds
4. Melancholia
5. Inception
6. Oldboy
7. The Matrix
8. Apocalypse Now
9. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 & 2
10. The Dark Knight
11. Se7en
12. The Departed
13. Amélie
14. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
15. Children of Men
16. 2001: A Space Odyssey
17. City of God
18. Minority Report
19. A Clockwork Orange
20. Strange Circus
21. Antichrist
22. Lady Vengeance
23. Audition
24. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
25. Let the Right One In

Going through all the films I love, I think Andrei Tarkovsky's Solyaris might just be my favorite film of all-time.

BlairCo wrote:Going through all the films I love, I think Andrei Tarkovsky's Solyaris might just be my favorite film of all-time.

BlairCo wrote:Going through all the films I love, I think Andrei Tarkovsky's Solyaris might just be my favorite film of all-time.
Bleh. Stalker, boy.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Bleh. Stalker, boy.
Can't go wrong with either.

I need to see the rest of Tarkovsky's films. Solyaris is the only one I've seen.