Favourite movies of 2010

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Since I've seen a couple more movies here is a revised version of my list:

1) The King's Speech
2) How To Train Your Dragon
3) Inception
4) Toy Story 3
5) The A-Team
6) Black Swan
7) True Grit
8) The Social Network
9) Shutter Island
10) Tangled/Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (tied)
Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):
-Kick Ass
-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
-Despicable Me
-Easy A

Movies I still need to see: The Fighter and Rabbit Hole

The Fighter
TSN
Inception

after that it's hard me to place them order
Say Girl

Since formulating a more specific and accurate grading system (as opposed to previously just picking the percentage that "felt right"), and finally seeing 127 Hours; I decided to revise my list.

1.) The Social Network (98%)
2.) True Grit (97%)
3.) 127 Hours (95%)
4.) The Kids Are All Right (93%)
5.) The Fighter (91%)
6.) Toy Story 3 (90%)
7.) Youth in Revolt (90%)
8.) Shutter Island (88%)
9.) Inception (87%)
10.) The Town (86%)
11.) Ondine (86%)
12.) TRON: Legacy (84%)
13.) Kick-Ass (84%)
14.) The King's Speech (83%)
15.) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (82%)

Crazy Eight wrote:Since formulating a more specific and accurate grading system (as opposed to previously just picking the percentage that "felt right"), and finally seeing 127 Hours; I decided to revise my list.

1.) The Social Network (98%)
2.) True Grit (97%)
3.) 127 Hours (95%)
4.) The Kids Are All Right (93%)
5.) The Fighter (91%)
6.) Toy Story 3 (90%)
7.) Youth in Revolt (90%)
8.) Shutter Island (88%)
9.) Inception (87%)
10.) The Town (86%)
11.) Ondine (86%)
12.) TRON: Legacy (84%)
13.) Kick-Ass (84%)
14.) The King's Speech (83%)
15.) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (82%)
How does your grading system work?

How does your grading system work?
It has a slightly different formula for each genre, but I break down the aspects of a film (Acting, Cinematography, Story/Script quality, etc...) and assign them percentages (out of 100 of course) based on how important I believe each aspect is to a film. The aspects vary depending upon the genre; I really can't grade an action comedy on the same criteria as a drama. :lol: But every percentage is capped off with a maximum of 10% enjoyment value.

Crazy Eight wrote:
It has a slightly different formula for each genre, but I break down the aspects of a film (Acting, Cinematography, Story/Script quality, etc...) and assign them percentages (out of 100 of course) based on how important I believe each aspect is to a film. The aspects vary depending upon the genre; I really can't grade an action comedy on the same criteria as a drama. :lol: But every percentage is capped off with a maximum of 10% enjoyment value.
Do you compare films of the same genre or with similar subject matter? I think it's a great way to evaluate a movie.

For example, when evaluating The Town, I thought of the other similar heist films (specifically The Killing, Heat, The Score and The Italian Job). Judging on its own merits, I thought The Town was quite a satisfying heist film - solid performances, good action scenes, and efficient direction/story telling. However, once I compared it with the heist films I just mentioned, The Town didn't really stand out from the bunch. My conclusion was that although it was a solidly executed heist film, The Town was also painfully derivative and surprisingly unspectacular. It lacked the rewatch value and convention-breaking innovations that the better heist movies had.

So yeah, originality is certainly one of the most , if not the most, important qualities I look into when judging a film.

discoveringuy wrote: Do you compare films of the same genre or with similar subject matter? I think it's a great way to evaluate a movie.

For example, when evaluating The Town, I thought of the other similar heist films (specifically The Killing, Heat, The Score and The Italian Job). Judging on its own merits, I thought The Town was quite a satisfying heist film - solid performances, good action scenes, and efficient direction/story telling. However, once I compared it with the heist films I just mentioned, The Town didn't really stand out from the bunch. My conclusion was that although it was a solidly executed heist film, The Town was also painfully derivative and surprisingly unspectacular. It lacked the rewatch value and convention-breaking innovations that the better heist movies had.

So yeah, originality is certainly one of the most , if not the most, important qualities I look into when judging a film.
Good way to put it, and I also categorize films by the motivation to watch it in the first place. If I want to be amazed, or inspired, or learn something, or laugh until I puke, or whatever, I usually compare them like this until I find a winner. But as with most things, you can't compare apples to bananas, etc.

1.Inception
2.True Grit
3.The Town
4.Shutter Island
5.The Social Network
6.Toy Story 3
7.The Fighter
8.Black Swan
9.Buried
10.127 Hours
11.Green Zone
Still need to see The Kings Speech and Blue Valentine.

Do you compare films of the same genre or with similar subject matter? I think it's a great way to evaluate a movie.

Yep. I include originality in the writing/story category and I'll subtract points if I feel as though it's unoriginal. In every genre writing/story accounts for 25% of the final grade in my "system".

1. Inception
2. Black Swan
3. Pillars of the Earth
4. Sex and the City 2
5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
6. The Wolfman
7. Winter's Bone
8. The Town
9. MacGruber
10. Prince of Persia