Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Well, according to the preview and the promotional pictures, there won't be any scenes in the North next week...

But I completely agree with you, the buildup to the battle has been lame at best

There has been plenty of build up already.

Vader182 wrote:I think we have to address what I think is THE crippling flaw of Season 6. And that's Jon Snow.
There's this hazy murky weird thing going on with Jon's character, Sansa's character, the resurrection, the wildlings, the white walkers, and the "battle of the bastards." Nobody cares that Jon's resurrected. The wildlings thought he was a "god" for coming back to life, but apparently forgot by episode 7. Sansa doesn't seem to care. The other houses don't seem to care. If they don't know, why are they so comfortable with him breaking his vows? You'd think being resurrected would be a major point of discussion on his travels, that he'd use that as a marketing tool to "show" he's a chosen person to fight the white walkers, and that we need to win back Winterfell to win the battle against them. But that's not really what they're saying. It all has this odd monotone blank face thing where neither Sansa or Jon seem to care much about this. I don't know if it's their performances, the writing, or what, but something just feels...oddly empty.

It feels like there's no wind in the sails in this plotline anymore after episodes 1-4 were absolutely terrific with this stuff. Jon is this odd passive observer...maybe that is in fact his 'new' characterization after coming back to life...but I feel like there's WAY less hype for this battle than Blackwater or Watchers on the Wall, and a big part of that is probably because our lead protagonist in that plotline seems like he's sleepwalking through this. Again, maybe that is indeed "the point" but... if so, is it a worthwhile thing to do when it clearly damages the overall momentum of the plotline this significantly? Idk. It's weird.

It's been pretty underwhelming to be honest after what I thought was a terrific half a season building to this. I hope Episode 8 sets up the battle properly.

-Vader
Exactly this.£

Nomis wrote:There has been plenty of build up already.
Agreed. All Sansa, Davos and Jon talk about is preparing for the damn battle and they have been in most episodes this season. People are never content with what they're given.

Batfan175 wrote:All Sansa, Davos and Jon talk about is preparing for the damn battle and they have been in most episodes this season. People are never content with what they're given.
Maybe they just don't feel it's compelling? I'm fine with it.

I wish Jon had more of a transformation post death however, same old Jon as the episodes progressed. Kind of boring considering expectations.

I do find it weird that other characters are not more amazed by Jon's resurrection. I thought at least we would hear something from Sansa.
As for Jon, himself, I think his lack of enthusiasim is on purpose. He said to Sansa that he is "tired" of fighting. He has has given everything he has to the "right" cause and all life has given him is murder of family members, friends,and even himself. His heart is not in it and he likely believes he is leading good people to their deaths.

is that keith

radewart wrote:I do find it weird that other characters are not more amazed by Jon's resurrection. I thought at least we would hear something from Sansa.
As for Jon, himself, I think his lack of enthusiasim is on purpose. He said to Sansa that he is "tired" of fighting. He has has given everything he has to the "right" cause and all life has given him is murder of family members, friends,and even himself. His heart is not in it and he likely believes he is leading good people to their deaths.
Indeed. Sansa was the one pulling him in to take back Winterfell. He wants to take it back as well but at the moment I think Sansa is more determined.
As for people being amazed by Jon's return from the dead and the fact that he might be Azor Ahai I think his arc will really open up when the actual fight begins.

Vader182 wrote:I think we have to address what I think is THE crippling flaw of Season 6. And that's Jon Snow.
There's this hazy murky weird thing going on with Jon's character, Sansa's character, the resurrection, the wildlings, the white walkers, and the "battle of the bastards." Nobody cares that Jon's resurrected. The wildlings thought he was a "god" for coming back to life, but apparently forgot by episode 7. Sansa doesn't seem to care. The other houses don't seem to care. If they don't know, why are they so comfortable with him breaking his vows? You'd think being resurrected would be a major point of discussion on his travels, that he'd use that as a marketing tool to "show" he's a chosen person to fight the white walkers, and that we need to win back Winterfell to win the battle against them. But that's not really what they're saying. It all has this odd monotone blank face thing where neither Sansa or Jon seem to care much about this. I don't know if it's their performances, the writing, or what, but something just feels...oddly empty.

It feels like there's no wind in the sails in this plotline anymore after episodes 1-4 were absolutely terrific with this stuff. Jon is this odd passive observer...maybe that is in fact his 'new' characterization after coming back to life...but I feel like there's WAY less hype for this battle than Blackwater or Watchers on the Wall, and a big part of that is probably because our lead protagonist in that plotline seems like he's sleepwalking through this. Again, maybe that is indeed "the point" but... if so, is it a worthwhile thing to do when it clearly damages the overall momentum of the plotline this significantly? Idk. It's weird.

It's been pretty underwhelming to be honest after what I thought was a terrific half a season building to this. I hope Episode 8 sets up the battle properly.

-Vader
I guess it's all part of the Broken man core theme that connects him to nearly every other character right now, it's just that that really screws with the momentum and weight of things, especially after last season's "Stuck/imprisoned man" theme