Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
hmm

I still think Dinklage did more with less, but Clarke was a close second

Cilogy wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:51 am
hmm

For season 8 you mean?

Sysmatic wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Cilogy wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:51 am
hmm

For season 8 you mean?
correct

I wanted to share thoughts on something I haven't seen brought up online. My favorite revelation in the finale, maybe even the entire final season, is that Bran...
is so important not to help kill the Night King, but because he's going to herald forth a newfound moral realm of men, wherein men will (hopefully) prosper and grow.

That is why the Three Eyed Raven sought him out.
That is why Jojen and Mera had to help him North.
That is why the Night King didn't just want, but needed to kill Bran. He represents the opposite of death. He represents life. Literal and figurative.

This is what all the prophecies and mythology have been building towards for the entire show. It unites the "point" of the White Walker/Night King conflict and The Long Night storyline with the "who will sit on the iron throne" storyline.
It's executed in a messy way no question, but I love this.

-Vader

wait

was that not clear already?

i think it's pretty obvious cil but lots of people on the internet, reddit in particular, don't think so.

its also not mentioned in a single finale recap I can find

-Vader

To me it’s shocking they decided to write and direct Bran this wooden and robotic for the part two seasons knowing how his story would end. No one cared about him in what should have been a big and inspiring moment

Vader182 wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 3:15 pm
I wanted to share thoughts on something I haven't seen brought up online. My favorite revelation in the finale, maybe even the entire final season, is that Bran...
is so important not to help kill the Night King, but because he's going to herald forth a newfound moral realm of men, wherein men will (hopefully) prosper and grow.

That is why the Three Eyed Raven sought him out.
That is why Jojen and Mera had to help him North.
That is why the Night King didn't just want, but needed to kill Bran. He represents the opposite of death. He represents life. Literal and figurative.

This is what all the prophecies and mythology have been building towards for the entire show. It unites the "point" of the White Walker/Night King conflict and The Long Night storyline with the "who will sit on the iron throne" storyline.
It's executed in a messy way no question, but I love this.

-Vader
Well, that is a great interpretation! I love it. I have a much more pessimist one:
Many people have complained that Jon being a Targaryen was not that useful, which I strongly disagree with. It pushed Jon to end his relation with Dany, ending hopes of them ruling together, and pushing Dany to choose fear as a ruling policy. Therefore the effect of the revelation seem to be in the end the massacre of King's landing. Also, his line to Jon "you were exactly where you were supposed to be" could imply that he knew this future possible, and did nothing to prevent it.
Anyway, I strongly disagree with you Cilogy, when you say it's quite clear. If there is a reproach we can't do to the finale, it is to be obvious. They don't try to justify their narrative choices that much, and really let the audience decide if they think the characters did the right choice, to the point where many people were just left baffled by some choices.

Bran pulled a Doctor Strange with that line.
This outcome was the only one to create a new status quo that will have long-term positive change, and anything that happened up to it was (probably) the "only way."
I agree Bran's writing is imperfect, but keep in mind he was very strategic with when he pushed which characters to do what, IE giving Arya the dagger, drawing out the NK, pushing Sam to confront Jon. All in service of this goal. Beyond that, his disinterest is, of course, the whole point.

-Vader