Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 8:11 am
Arya's storyline in season 5 and 6 is the worst of her entire arc. Which is such a pity because her arc in season 4 was terrific and I remember liking her story in season 2 a whole lot too.
She's also too stone cold in season 7 that I found it very hard to care about her. I hope she gets a much better arc in the final season. In fact, Arya got three overlong arcs in the last three seasons. The whole
Petyr pitching Sansa and Arya against each other was just too dumb to actually make it work. I understand that the best place for Petyr to die was in the last episode but the Sansa/Arya storyline shouldn't have gone on longer than one episode.
I actually think Arya NOT getting what she wanted in seasons 5 and 6 was some of the better material for the character because a big part of the fandom wants her to do terrible things to terrible people and that's not the kind of story the show is telling. She does do terrible things to awful characters but the show makes it clear that this is also turning her into a revenge-driven sociopath herself and that we viewers should be cautious whenever we cheer for her moments of vengeance. A lot of people in the fandom say how awful the Starks have it at every turn and yet they also turn around and cheer blindly for Arya whenever she brutally murders people. Arya learning about herself and how she actually needs to empathize with others a lot more (which is a big part of her story in season 6) is part of her character because she's constantly at risk of losing her humanity, which was excellently shown in that season 7 scene where
she seemingly threatens Sansa. The fandom was crying foul because they thought the show wrote them out of character but actually that has been the character's trajectory all along: revenge is awful and if you resort to violence against other because of how awful you think your life has been that does not make you a sad person but a terrible person and the viewers were for the first time confronted with who they had wanted Arya to be: a stone-cold killer who has the skills to murder anyone she deems guilty for the fate of her family...well, what happens if she thinks Sansa bears part of the blame for that too?
What if it's actually not a good thing that Arya gets to decide willy-nilly who deserves to live and die?

As a side note, I don't know if it's the way it's uploaded on HBO or just the way it's shot, but the grading on this show seems fucking annoyingly dark sometimes.

It's literally the only show I watch now where I have to turn up the brightness all the way on my tablet, or I have to turn off every single fucking light in my apartment when I watch it on my 4K TV because otherwise I just see my face staring back at me, or I'm completely blinded by the bright-ass subtitles.

Seriously, starving children around the world can suck my dick, this shit is terrible.

Cilogy wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 1:10 pm
As a side note, I don't know if it's the way it's uploaded on HBO or just the way it's shot, but the grading on this show seems fucking annoyingly dark sometimes.

It's literally the only show I watch now where I have to turn up the brightness all the way on my tablet, or I have to turn off every single fucking light in my apartment when I watch it on my 4K TV because otherwise I just see my face staring back at me, or I'm completely blinded by the bright-ass subtitles.

Seriously, starving children around the world can suck my dick, this shit is terrible.
Could also just be a problem with your settings? I never had any problem seeing anything on the show but the again, I watch the DVDs of the show either on my laptop or my HD TV and it's always been a great experience.

Cilogy wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 1:10 pm

HBO's compression famously sucks, but they've honestly improved drastically over the years. I have a Vizio P Series 75'' and even the darker scenes play crisply without disgusting amounts of banding.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 9:06 pm
He's seen it before, and no, Season 6 doesn't actually answer much of this.

-Vader
It answered it for me but again I didn't look into that storyline that deeply as others on here apparently have. It served it's purpose and moved on from there for me.

Ace

They didn't want to show anything, and they did probably the worst trailer for GoT ever :P

Looks like Avengers and GOT is in the Endgame now.
I'll see myself out...