Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 5:56 am
No, I meant the other way around.
Daenerys saw through Sansa telling Tyrion and why she would've done that. Daenerys talks with Tyrion about this in their first scene together in "The Bells".
lmfao suddenly i can’t read. sorry!

Ruth wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 5:58 am
Nomis wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 5:56 am
No, I meant the other way around.
Daenerys saw through Sansa telling Tyrion and why she would've done that. Daenerys talks with Tyrion about this in their first scene together in "The Bells".
lmfao suddenly i can’t read. sorry!
lol no worries

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 5:53 am
What did everyone think of
Cleganebowl
?
Initially I was slightly underwhelmed then I realized it was great.

So, on the discussion of how quickly things have unfolded this season:
I will be willing to agree with others that the pace of Dany's turn was poor if in the finale she doesn't fully commit to it.

Like, if we see her dance her eyebrows and show the same level of compassion for other characters the way she did in earlier season, then I will probably end up hating how quickly she turned in The Bells. If she's truly gone mad and realized her justification for killing innocents, then we basically need to see her like fully villain in the next ep

right?

I mean, right?

Allstar wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 10:05 am
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 5:53 am
What did everyone think of
Cleganebowl
?
Initially I was slightly underwhelmed then I realized it was great.
I'm still not satisfied with the fight itself, possibly due to lacking Hound-perspective in recent times, though I like how they went into the encounter. Ultimately though it devolved quickly and was simple for necessity's sake.

I would've also liked Grey Worm to have joined in at first, only maybe to get killed or hurt, and then The Hound would stand alone against his brother. It would've helped GW's development, as it wouldn't reduce him back down to a mindless follower-slave husk of a person. I'm quite fine with him obeying Dany's command at first, and murdering people, but if he eventually broke off and went for The Mountain it would've made more sense. Like, it would be more complicated than purely misplaced anger, and it would be interesting for Sandor to besides GW not knowing what he had just been a part of, making this revenge thing of theirs even more controversial.

Speaking of avoided but necessary confrontations, if Yara had joined the fight by attacking Euron she would've gotten her moment of poetic justice-revenge (imagine Yara surprising him the way he had surprised her when he destroyed her fleet) AND this could've been the key thing that allowed Daeneris to get the upper hand on Euron, not merely have Euron there just standing there waiting exposed, like he never ever does.

Ruth wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 5:47 am
no fucking way sansa “saw” what daenerys was up to, because that’s illogical. sansa barely knows shit about dany, she has no idea what she was doing until she landed on westeros. her distrust of dany is mostly based on jealousy, general wariness of someone who is “foreign”, and the only thing she “sees through” is the fact that dany shows she’s power hungry and would be an all or nothing absolutist if she was queen. those are absolutely bad things for sansa, but implying they were “enough” for sansa to expect dany to do what she did in kl is nonsensical. i know people now want to legitimize dany’s “snap” and ground it by finding clues where there are none but right now that’s a big reach. had sansa been shown how prone to violence dany normally is, maybe that would hold water.
I didn't mean that Sansa knew what the consequences of her actions would be these, but that trying to do her manipulation games in the back of the most powerful person of Westeros in decades was very dangerous, and was likely to have terrible consequences: she doesn't know much about Dany, but she knows nothing will stop her in her quest for the throne. I think that Sansa has inherited cynicism from Littlefinger, amongst other things, and therefore, I won't root for her in the last episode.

It's just so wild in how they present their characters at first, how you find out who actually are the leading characters (not Ned and Robb lol although vital for the plot of course amongst others), how those characters developed and how their actions can change how you view them. I mean hell, I felt fucking sorry for Cersei in the end. And while I've always rooted for Sansa and never really god the hate she got (both in the show as in the novels) I seem to be ending up with not liking her so much anymore considering how cynical and over her head she's become now. I get most if not all of her motivations but I think it should've been written better to really underline those on the show. Know what I mean?
As for Arya, I never cheered for her on her killing spree and I couldn't stand her in season 7 but I love her again in this season. This basically goes like this with all the characters lol it's quite a feat, still.

To those outraged at the RT score for The Bells, it is the second lowest rated episode in the show's history on Reddit with a sample size of 100,000 viewers.

Historically, r/gameofthrones are the easiest to please viewers of the show's fandom as you can see reflected in the ratings for Seasons 6 and 7.

-Vader

I'm not arguing that the epsidoes deserved to be praised as much as some of the previous seasons, but I do think that whatever the metric being used many people are giving unfairly low scores like 1's and 2's becuase they are so upset about Dany's arc.
I completely agree that it was rushed, but many, no matter how it was handled and paced would never like the character turn and automatically give it a low score. Same with some critics would no matter what give it a rotten review.

outrage culture