Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 3:07 pm
Vader182 wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 12:00 pm
Allstar wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 9:41 am

That was a writing issue not a directing one.
Completely incorrect. It was as much an issue of direction and editing as writing.

And I hope Nomis is right.

-Vader
Wrong.
ah rats allstar bests me once again

-Vader

It wasn’t really well directed come on

I don’t think a director would have saved the illogical writing unless he literally made narrative changes.

Allstar wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 3:36 pm
I don’t think a director would have saved the illogical writing unless he literally made narrative changes.
things don't have to be logical to feel like they make sense.

As Chris McQuarrie would say all movies have a certain amount of bullshit. "Sense" is a very relative thing, some plot holes / contrivances bother more than others while they may be equally "illogical." GOT's previous battle scenes are full of "illogical" contrivances but are universally beloved to the extent many think they're the best medieval battles ever put to screen. Why are those mostly acceptable while these are not? The answer is because of how those are staged, directed and performed.

-Vader

Batfan175 wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Tbh, there are battle scenes in seasons 6 and 7 that I find much more interesting than Hardhome.
There are several battles which come close to it not rival Hardhome when it comes to sheer intensity, the battle of Winterfell, the attack of Meereen (same episode even, also by Sapochnik) and Daenery's attack in Westeros to name a couple post-Hardhome

Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow return on this week’s cover of Entertainment Weekly. In the latest issue, we go behind the scenes of Game of Thrones, the most secretive series on television, for the HBO epic’s final season.

From an emotional table read to staging the show’s biggest battle yet to a preview of the season 8’s mysterious storyline, the new issue is an exclusive first look at the show’s six remaining episodes from the set in Northern Ireland.

“It’s about all of these disparate characters coming together to face a common enemy, dealing with their own past, and defining the person they want to be in the face of certain death,” co-executive producer Bryan Cogman says. “It’s an incredibly emotional haunting bittersweet final season and I think it honors very much what [author George R.R. Martin] set out to do — which is flipping this kind of story on its head.”

On the cover, Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington embrace — tellingly, in the snow — in the first official photo from the set of the final season. The actors endured a grueling 10-month shoot to create just six episodes amid the cast and crew’s obsession to make every detail of the final hours as excellent as possible.

“It’s relentless; scenes that would have been a one-day shoot five years ago are now a five-day shoot,” Harington says. “They want to get it right, they want to shoot everything every single way so they have options.”

Agrees Clarke: “[Camera] checks take longer, costumes are a bit better, hair and makeup a bit sharper — every choice, every conversation, every attitude, has this air of ‘this is it.’ Everything feels more intense.”
https://ew.com/tv/2018/11/01/game-of-th ... -ew-cover/

Okay, great, but WHEN?!?!?!?!

I'm still excited to see how this wraps up, but fuck, season 7 reeaally killed some of that momentum.

Numbers wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 5:11 pm
I'm still excited to see how this wraps up, but fuck, season 7 reeaally killed some of that momentum.
Season 7 really isn't that bad. 100% believe if it had the same story content but approximated the length of a regular season most people would rank Season 7 as one of their favorite seasons overall.

it's one of those "story vs plot" problems

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 5:13 pm
Season 7 really isn't that bad. 100% believe if it had the same story content but approximated the length of a regular season most people would rank Season 7 as one of their favorite seasons overall.

it's one of those "story vs plot" problems

-Vader
That's exactly what I wanted from it.
Sure, S7's not terrible, but it just felt too intent on getting to the endgame. I miss the deliberate pacing of earlier seasons (when GRRM was more involved).

idk, you'd think that they'd spend more time on the characters, especially considering how short the roster's become.