Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I can't blame them. Theres a million and one stories that can be told and told well. Which I think is far different than say, the Star Wars universe, which in the end is a lot smaller than it originally seemed.

ChristNolan wrote:I can't blame them. Theres a million and one stories that can be told and told well. Which I think is far different than say, the Star Wars universe, which in the end is a lot smaller than it originally seemed.
true true

ChristNolan wrote:I can't blame them. Theres a million and one stories that can be told and told well. Which I think is far different than say, the Star Wars universe, which in the end is a lot smaller than it originally seemed.
Star Wars universe is significantly bigger.

Allstar wrote:
Star Wars universe is significantly bigger.
Nah. I agree with a lot of your criticisms with RLM but I think they're right when they said on paper Star Wars seems limitless but then we just wind up with lightsabers, stormtroopers, rebels, etc. It never seems to venture much further than that. Disney could have written entirely original and unique stories for their one offs but what did we get instead? Movies about the Death Star, Han Solo, and probably Boba Fett and Obi Wan.

I'm all for spinoffs but that list of writers does pretty much nothing for me. I would think that given how huge GoT is they could get writers with better track records.

Just because Disney hasn't taken advantage of the vast potential of the universe doesn't mean it's not there. Either way if Batfan defends this he's a massive hypocrite.

I'm all for this btw.

Allstar wrote:Either way if Batfan defends this he's a massive hypocrite.

I do not blindly support this, which must come as a shock to people who assume I watch this show uncritically and defend every artistic decision made on the show. I do not see the reason to expand on the story of ASOIAF/GOT other than to make lots and lots of money. If good, artistic tv comes from it that's great but I don't forget that that is always incidental. If it's good, I'll praise it for its strengths. If it isn't, I'll say it shouldn't have been done. Initially I was also not opposed to a shared MCU universe but after watching a couple of those films that repeated the same tired formula without any innovation, I came to the conclusion that endlessly expanding a story makes no sense, especially if so much potential is wasted. The one thing this spin-off has going for it is that it likely won't be an extension of the story we saw in GOT but rather it would seem to adapt Martin's other material set in ASOIAF set at different time periods that have little to no connection to the story of GOT. The MCU and Star Wars films I have seen were still mediocre at best and I do not see the need for an endless expansion if the films themselves are not of outstanding quality. Same goes for this.

If it was one spinoff then i would say OK, but coming right out with "yeah we got 4 in the works". That just reeks of cash grab, milk this universe until everyone is sick of it. Not into this. Especially with different people in charge.

shauner111 wrote:If it was one spinoff then i would say OK, but coming right out with "yeah we got 4 in the works". That just reeks of cash grab, milk this universe until everyone is sick of it. Not into this. Especially with different people in charge.
Hey gang
Been visiting nolanfans for the longest time and just created an account.
Yea, i agree with shauner, 4 spinnoffs is too much. There will not be any focus.
What a shame