Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
MyCocaine wrote:Yet another triumphant ending with Clarke. I can't help rolling my eyes every time the show attempts to give her gravitas. Obvious and obnoxious. Also, her attempt at acting was as unconvincing as ever.
I bet you preferred the ending to unbent, unbowed, unbroken right?

dealwithit wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:Yet another triumphant ending with Clarke. I can't help rolling my eyes every time the show attempts to give her gravitas. Obvious and obnoxious. Also, her attempt at acting was as unconvincing as ever.
Well it is certainly a better written and acted scene.

This season could probably end up being my favorite so far. It certainly suffers from some issues like pacing and structure but it really pays off in the plot department. Jack Bender did a pretty great job in both episodes, hopefully he'll return next year.
Lots of crazy stuff in this one. From Benjen/Coldhands returning to seeing the Mad King for the first time. I agree that Bran's vision might be building something interesting for the future.

I didn't have any issue with the ending. There was definitely a huge CGI improvement from the Mereen pit. Interested to see how everything will come together, since Dany needs ships and there's also the issue between Theon/Yara and Euron.

Glad that Arya's storyline is finally heading somewhere. I never buyed that she could become noone. She's a Stark and she should come back at some point.

The Tommen/High Sparrow situation is certainly becoming more and more intriguing. On the other hand, I'm also not a big fan of Jaimie this season. Hopefully now that he goes to Riverrun, there could be some interesting stuff. Glad that we'll see Blackfish and Bronn again next week!

One of the things that went under the radar was Tarly's sword. It's valyrian steel and it could turn out to be very important. Some are speculating that it could be Lightbringer.

xWhereAmI? wrote:Some of you think this is an underwhelming season? Whaaaaaaaat? I was thinking everyone was on board that it's one of the best
I don't think it's the best yet. That remains to be seen with the upcoming episodes but this definitely isn't an underwhelming season. I don't know where that is coming from either.

RIFA wrote:I think the issue with the current season is that it lacks a bit of the shock value and wow factor previous seasons had. Not to mention there's a lack of really interesting and crowd-appealing characters so far. Oberyn for example was a standout and for many people characters like him defined an entire season and made that season memorable.

The structure of the current season is pretty good and there's interesting stuff going on but there's also a lot of silent moments. A lot of backtracking and delaying not to mention predictable plotlines at least for the first 6 episodes. This season is good but it's also far from being one of the most engaging. It's pretty cold with few warmup moments.

Another reason why the current season finds itself in an awkward position is because of the religious theme that it has. People today draw big "sighs" when it comes to religion and I personally know many friends that have the "just get over it" attitude when it comes to this.

There's also the scale presentation issue. Not only with the action scenes but also with the political intricacies. It's a bit confusing because in other seasons you could clearly see a definite representation of who holds the power and why he has it. Now not so much. You have talks of armies of thousands and you see a fight between 4-5 dudes. You have an entire kingdom crippled by a bunch of low-lifes which never were more than 20 on the screen lol. Insinuation exists but I feel it's poorly executed compared to other seasons, therefore it's harder for the audience to suspend their disbelief.
This is something I definitely don't want out of this show is shock value. This is a high quality TV show not some average show needing shock value to attract viewers. And there have been plenty of those wow moments:Jon's resurrection, Bran/Hold The Door, Jon and the return of several minor characters during last night's episode and plenty more to come but I don't want this show to have shock value just for the sake of having it. It has to have a lot of substance behind it.

Allstar wrote:
dealwithit wrote:
Well it is certainly a better written and acted scene.
It makes perfect sense though and I think the people criticizing the scene are largely hypocritical.
After she burned the Khals and came out all fire proof, a ton of people complained that it was unbelievable they would all instantly follow her after a random demonstration of power. It makes sense that her coming out of the burning thing was the bait that made them bite the hook, her on Drogon is her reeling them in. You can't complain the previous event wasn't believable enough to get them to follow her then ALSO complain this sequence was "overkill" and "repetitive."

-Vader

I liked this episode, I don't need shock value from the show. I care about character-building moments like the scene between Arya and the actress or between Samwell and his father because the characters grow with those and get more interesting or reaffirm things we thought had changed abot them previously, which makes us reevaluate them in turn.

The best scenes were those involving Samwell, Arya, Bran and KL for me. Dany I can take or leave this week (I wonder if she's going to be an antagonist by the end though).

Nice that the title ties into the family lines that were showcased this episode (Sam and his family, Arya and her Stark identity, the conflict between the Lannisters in KL,
Bran and Benjen
, Dany and Drogon).

We got a lot of identy-affirming moments this episode, with Dany embracing her role as conqueror, Arya embracing her own identity, Samwell choosing the ultimate act of defiance against his father over submission, Bran becoming the new Three-eyed raven....lots of neat stuff.

They were already blindly following her anyway... my problem with the scene is more of the placement in the episode and the execution. I only found it "predictable" they made it the final scene.

I hope Dany is an antagonist by the end. The groundwork is laid for her to become the Mad Queen so to speak. Would be a great twist.

Allstar wrote:They were already blindly following her anyway... my problem with the scene is more of the placement in the episode and the execution. I only found it "predictable" they made it the final scene.

I hope Dany is an antagonist by the end. The groundwork is laid for her to become the Mad Queen so to speak. Would be a great twist.
I do think that this what they are heading towards in a sense. Not a flat out villian persay, but a ruthless conqueror like the Targaryens of old. She tried the just ruler route and backfired, now we see her accepting her true character as a romping conqueror. GRRM clearly modeled her after certain historical persons.

Yeah, I just don't want her to end the story a "hero" like Jon for example since I never really saw her that way to begin with.