Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
you guys seriously like it? the opening 30 munites has already been tough for me. too MANY slow-motions I can't even...

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 4:31 am
you guys seriously like it? the opening 30 munites has already been tough for me. too MANY slow-motions I can't even...
I wouldn't necessarily say I liked it. Whedon's JL set a looow bar, this was competent enough to surpass that bar. But also, I felt the 4 hours for sure.

I really expected this to be a lot more edgelordy than it was. I also thought most of the lame jokes in theatrical cut were from Whedon. Wrong in both cases.

But it's very Snydery nonetheless. Terrible dialogue for the most part, epic sometimes even exciting action scenes, emotional moments that surprisingly work despite their half-assed set up, garbage villains and plenty of really bad and really good acting, thrown into the mix.

I'd rank it alongside Watchmen and Man of Steel as Snyder top tiers, or at least close to that level.

Master Virgo wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 1:18 pm
I really expected this to be a lot more edgelordy than it was. I also thought most of the lame jokes in theatrical cut were from Whedon. Wrong in both cases.

But it's very Snydery nonetheless. Terrible dialogue for the most part, epic sometimes even exciting action scenes, emotional moments that surprisingly work despite their half-assed set up, garbage villains and plenty of really bad and really good acting, thrown into the mix.

I'd rank it alongside Watchmen and Man of Steel as Snyder top tiers, or at least close to that level.
yup. we are on the same page.

His owl movie is pretty great tbh

The first hour was so embarrassing it made it too awkward to continue. Perhaps it gets better later so I'm in no position to question anyone's opinion because I just couldn't finish it. I just didn't see the point in wasting so much more of my time on this project as imo it already got two versions too many ;)

I'll give it props for going full Snyder so at least his fans should be satisfied but I'm honestly SHOCKED anyone who wasn't made it till the end, let alone gave it a positive review.

LelekPL wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 7:27 pm
I'll give it props for going full Snyder so at least his fans should be satisfied but I'm honestly SHOCKED anyone who wasn't made it till the end, let alone gave it a positive review.
Soooo me?
I don't believe in judging a film unless I've seen all of it. The Snyder Cut got better as it went along but it also fucks up its multiple epilogues.I agree with Virgo that the dialogue is straight garbage, but I think I gave it a (barely) positive rating because I admire seeing a filmmaker get his vision out there. But also this was a point of realization for me. I don't like Snyder's stuff. And I wish Watchmen had been directed by someone née competent.

Numbers wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 7:37 pm
Soooo me?
I don't believe in judging a film unless I've seen all of it.
Like I said, I'm not questioning your opinion... or anyone elses for that matter as I definitely wasn't targeting anyone specific with that comment. I'm just very surprised any nonfan liked it based on what I experienced. As for judging something without watching it till the end I agree. I definitely won't be rating or let alone reviewing the movie. But considering this already had a previous version and I watched an hour of this one, I think it's fair to say I gave it a shot and can be pretty confident this is not for me...

Fingers crossed for The Batman 2022

Against all odds, I actually liked this! It's undeniably messy, an hour too long, and the parademon/motherbox stuff is ugly and drags, but the character work for me was top-notch. Possibly my favorite Snyder film after 300. It's more of a character driven arty sci-f fantasy epic than a regular superhero movie, one all about broken families, absent fathers and loss, and how coming together as a team was more an acting of penance and healing than anything else. Those elements hit hard and felt sincere, as MZS said, as if Snyder was working through stuff.

Ironically, the opening hour was my favorite: strong character setups with epic, mythic images in tableau, and grounded yet huge in scale. Cyborg's stuff throughout was a highlight.

It's somewhere around a B- for me while I expected it to be closer to a D a week ago. Pleasantly surprised.

-Vader

I'm also pleasantly surprised. It feels like Snyder got to finish it as true to himself as he could have. I'm happy for them that they got to do this.

The film is epic in scope, no doubt about that, I also really liked the character development, Cyborg got the most out of it but the hints towards Arthurs and Bruce' background suffice considering Aquaman had it all fleshed out in his solo film and well, we all know Batman lol

Still though, Snyder went pretty wild when it came to the action and I thought some moments were just really strong and exciting. Most of all I liked how this one is a bit less self-aware, like the scene with Gordon and the team, you just go with it and other films have proved as well, the audience can go with crazy things like this and in the end it works.

On one hand a bit sad we won't get to see Snyders pretty ballsy plans for the follow up but it also feels like a proper send off.