The Nolanfans Film Awards 2020 - (FYC/Discussion)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
No one voted for it last year iirc. I was just curious. I doubt it'd even be successfully nominated, but it's in my top list of the year.

Vader182 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 4:49 pm
Ruth wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 4:43 pm
This is pretty laughable, we’re a small forum and not a bunch of film critics. We’re trying to find a better middle ground so the votes (we always get super tiny turnout tbh) can mean something

to say that y’all can just do whatever and the rest of us can choose if we want to be a part of the conversation is just not cool imo. I’d better not vote here at all then.
I mean, what's the alternative?

-Vader
idk how about YOU guys choose to go with the general flow out of solidarity and not vote for films that have obviously not been part of the conversation this season instead of giving us, the foreigners, the option of going along with you?

tbh just vote for whatever the hell you want, since nomis will be counting the noms and votes and everything

I don't see a systemized way to represent the current slate of movies fairly across all international members other than going by release date in your country, which, again, is how it's done by all major pubs. I'm not asking you to vote "with America" at all. I'm saying vote by your country's release date, which is completely different. It's why You Were Never Really Here counted for Sight and Sound 2016 and 2017 since different countries voted both years. Same with Beale Street showing up in British publications this year. I think that is the most fair, logical way to handle it. Again, If a member doesn't think that's fair, vote how you want and don't worry about it.

I'm not trying to ruffle the feathers of any members, I just don't see any other logical way to do it. If anyone has a repeatable format in mind, please suggest it.

-Vader

I, also, was not meaning to make anyone feel attacked. I over-estimated the release dates of Climax, because I thought it released most places in 2019 (the same way Split released most places in 2017, but debuted at a festival in 2016). A lot of us voted for You Were Never Really Here during the awards last year even though it was a "2017 film" because it released widely (not just in the US) in 2018.

Bacon wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 4:50 pm
No one voted for it last year iirc. I was just curious. I doubt it'd even be successfully nominated, but it's in my top list of the year.
There were like four people who voted lol

There were quite a few who voted last year for nominees... The four you're referring to were votes for winners. And it's not even an exaggeration :P since if I remember correctly there were exactly five members who voted for winners.

I say let's go with the American releases so we keep things simple and in accordance with most important award bodies. Especially since the voting period is until May so I'll have the chance to see all the films by then even if they don't release in your country.

Okay so in the end five, that's so minimal there shouldn't even have been a result.

Anyway, The Lighthouse, Little Women, 1917, Jojo Rabbit, A Hidden Life and Uncut Gems all release in this and next month in my country but they're obviously 2019 releases. So anything up for awards now is 2019, easy as that.

Just post here for clarification on what a films' release date is and we'll figure it out. As stated, Climax is 2018. As for Labeouf's work in Honey Boy, does anybody know if it's lead or supporting?

Nomis wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 7:36 am
Okay so in the end five, that's so minimal there shouldn't even have been a result.
Again, I did the best with what I had. It's not my fault people didn't care to vote. Instead of a simple thanks from anyone for taking my time to count the nominees I feel like you're blaming me for something I wasn't even responsible for. Not cool.

It was not my intention to blame you LelekPL.

@Ruth: lets stick with that then