⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊤⟒⊙ (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Why didn't they roll the dice? :wtf:

Man this thing is a lot to take in. As of right now, the first movie is superior in my opinion. That said, this thing is still incredible. Paul
riding the worm is one of the best moments I’ve seen in theaters in the past decade.
The main thing that puts this behind the first (maybe this will change on a rewatch) is I really felt the length…multiple times. I’m not sure if it was the pacing, editing, over-hyped-ness, or a combination of all the above — but yeah, as of now not as good as part 1, but still a fantastic film.

Dennis knows how to make them. He lacks that Nolan novelty (well to be fair his combat scenes are as boring as Chris) but his films have that gravitas and unique distinctiveness qualities that make people love cinema.

It's a super enjoyable film.
It's a bloody awful Dune adaptation tho.

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
March 2nd, 2024, 12:48 am
Man this thing is a lot to take in. As of right now, the first movie is superior in my opinion. That said, this thing is still incredible. Paul
riding the worm is one of the best moments I’ve seen in theaters in the past decade.
The main thing that puts this behind the first (maybe this will change on a rewatch) is I really felt the length…multiple times. I’m not sure if it was the pacing, editing, over-hyped-ness, or a combination of all the above — but yeah, as of now not as good as part 1, but still a fantastic film.
Part 1 put me to sleep twice when I tried to watch it, mainly because every actor in that film seemed to have forgotten how to emote and how to speak like actual people. 90% of the performances in that film seemed to have been given by actors who were half asleep. The environments they inhabited seemed empty and not at all lived-in and noone did anything that wasn't at all dictated by the plot and then the film didn't have an ending.

Part 2 at least has some more interesting thematic elements that characters wrestle with and performances that I enjoy (Javier Bardem for instance) and it is a nice subversion of the Chosen One narrative. It's also visually much more impressive than Part 1. There's still a lot of characters who don't feel like actual people but there's fewer of them because a couple of them get to actually do something interesting this time around. I did enjoy this one, whereas I stuggled to care about anything happening in Part 1.

Overall, I regret that Villeneuve is not at all interested in the weirdness and strangeness of the world of Dune that David Lynch's adaptation mainly focused on. Villeneuve's version of the story is mostly a very impressive visual experience without much substance but that also doesn't mean I dislike it overall.

Yeah no i fucking loved this one, id say its absolutely superior to the first one as i feel it suffers more from being just half a book, but this one doesnt feel like that at all, the pacing feels better, the action is better in every way, i wish we got more stuff at geidi prime and i can see how some people would have liked to see more of the weird shit Dune is known for, but i feel Denis doesnt want to overdo it, since its not about the weird shit but its rather a by product of the world itself and all that, we are so lucky to have Denis bringing his vision like this.

's gud