Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LelekPL wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 5:02 pm
A Borges man wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 4:31 pm
LelekPL wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 4:28 pm

Alfred Molina is old... how else would they do it?
I dunno, I don't get paid millions of dollars to find a solution...but, maybe, just maybe, Doc Ock could be, you know...older.
How? Since Molina already confirmed that his character is taken directly from the moment right before his death in Spider-Man 2. That's my point, he can't be older in the story they are making. Make up won't fix 20 years of aging and body change.

You can make the point, "why have his character be from that moment?", but that wasn't the story decision they took and story ideas should have priority over technical capabilities. First you come up with the story and then you think how to portray that. They could have recast, sure. That's the old way of doing things. But let's be honest, having Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe be back is a smarter decision from both continuity and business perspective. And once you make that decision, CGI is really your only way.
God... I don't care about what they said, it looks bad. Also: "First you come up with the story and then you think how to portray that" is wrong. You do have to account for limitations and execution. Blockbusters like Spiderman are also pre-vized before a script is set in stone, so narrative gives way to bad execution is not something that holds water.

A Borges man wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 5:06 pm
God... I don't care about what they said, it looks bad. Also: "First you come up with the story and then you think how to portray that" is wrong. You do have to account for limitations and execution. Blockbusters like Spiderman are also pre-vized before a script is set in stone, so narrative gives way to bad execution is not something that holds water.
First of all, it's Michael. Let's not be so formal. Second of all, it's not like the technology doesn't exist while they are making the movie :P
When you are doing pre-viz or even concept art you have the basic outline of the movie. And if it calls for a story that is about "accepting your fate" and Peter learning to be a public figure while the villains mirror the lack of acceptance of their demise by returning to their natural timeline that's a pretty crucial element of the movie that is made way before pre-viz ideas. It's basically the crux of the movie.

I'm not saying that is what the movie will be about but it is possible and would make it necessary to de-age Doc Oc. Until we see the movie, there's really no sense in saying "he should have been old". It's just irrational reactionary bitching. Saying it looks bad at the moment is fine... then again, it is still a couple of months away from release so I wouldn't judge the effects so early, either.

This could be one of the worst disappointments of all time in movies for me if they manage to screw up Tobey's Spidey + Raimi's villains in this.

The trailer seemed like standard MCU-affair, but it's pretty obvious they're also holding back. If anything, this writer+director combo isn't the best to handle such a huge film I think. Homecoming nailed being a really good, small-stakes movie, but Far From Home dropped the ball in soooo many ways.

Bacon wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 7:16 pm
This could be one of the worst disappointments of all time in movies for me if they manage to screw up Tobey's Spidey + Raimi's villains in this.

The trailer seemed like standard MCU-affair, but it's pretty obvious they're also holding back. If anything, this writer+director combo isn't the best to handle such a huge film I think. Homecoming nailed being a really good, small-stakes movie, but Far From Home dropped the ball in soooo many ways.
Rami's trilogy captured the tone of Ditko's comics! I hope Jon Watts can do it similarly!

Great, so now they are pulling from Raimi's films. Those Spider-Man films are ten times more rewatchable than anything the MCU churned out over the past 13 years. Actual human emotions is something the MCU never managed to convincingly imitate.

Bacon wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 7:16 pm

Nothing this movie does can “screw up” Raimi’s movies and characters.

It's weird to think that there will be a whole generation of viewers that will have to go and check out what these "original Spider-Man movies" are in order to understand this film :D

very excited to see the
nickelback
cameo!