Barbie (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ace wrote:
April 4th, 2023, 12:03 pm
We need Oppenheimer to put out some firepower tomorrow. If I were Universal - I'd be matching WB beat for beat every time - get the hype going. Everyone is going to see both of these pics anyway - might as well make it a thing. I am thoroughly impressed this looks this good.

Mackey, Swindells and Gatwa are all so good in Sex Education! I'm almost as excited for this as I am for my boy Ryan's first film with a real script since First Man.

On pure style this looks great. I'm still not sure what the movie is about, though.

Still not sure who this movie is for?? Barbie is still a Doll played by with children, right?
This look like its aimed at pop culture obsessed thirtysomethings who tweet memes all day.

Not that there is anything wrong with a movie made purely for entertainment, particularly one with cinemtaic explosions of creativity. But if you really think Gerwig has not been cooking something more special with an underlying critique of the problamtic precedents, perhaps buried deep within, then you have not been paying attention.

Believe the hype! This is... KINO*

*Even if it's very on the nose and a blatant marketing movie. It still is incredibly funny and impeccably made. Ryan Gosling needs to be at least nominated for an Oscar.

If Oppenheimer is as good as Barbie this might be one of the best weekends at the cinema of all-time.

This film is going to have like a 6 or a low 7 at best on IMDb. It's going to be trageted not by Nolan fans, who I believe are far less passionate and as the result less toxic these days, but by far-right and inceldom. IMDb is such an unserious website these days.

Master Virgo wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 1:47 pm
but by far-right and inceldom
So Snyder fans. Btw, you might be right because Barbie does make a solid joke about that fandom.

Snyder cult, fandom menace, M-She-U antis, etc. Birds of a feather.