Looper (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:I hate doing this, but I just sent allstar an unfocused summary of my thoughts, so I might as well post it here too.
Johnson successfully includes more brilliant science fiction ideas into one film than large collections of them in general, and as someone that is an admirer and enthusiast in sci-fi on and off the silver screen, it's a remarkable accomplishment just how many of those were innovative. I don't think I need to list them all. Basically and bluntly, tons of the movie was genius, tons of it worked and was powerful and evocative and beautiful. It's ambition is readily palpable and enjoyable. That said, the first 10-15 minutes felt contrived in its world building, each act felt totally disconnected from the others- events don't build and build, totally new plot elements are introduced and setting, tone, and narrative format change, with a new set of narrative goals. This lets the film feel grandiose, but mostly uneven and unfocused. Moreover, the budgetary constraints hugely hurt the credibility of the world. Come on, a panning cityscape wideshot isn't fooling anyone when the sets and dressed locations aren't lit consistent with the wide. Still, the effects were impressive for the budget, but the scale of the film was significantly wounded for this reason.

The telekinesis felt shoehorned in and not fitting in with every other element of the narrative. So, in the future, humans quite totally randomly evolved to have telekinetic abilities without any logic or reason behind it? It's fucking preposterous. That said, I thought the handling of it was almost always amazing and at times shocking and beautifully dramatic. Also, the film was rather predictable in a lot of its major plot points, which was sometimes handled amazingly well and other times blandly and boringly. Still, some hugely shocking 'wtf' moments, such as the new timeline creation following killing him and not killing him, which was the only genuinely mind-bending moment in the film, the rest was a more general type of shocking moment, like the film going as far to kill the children. The photography was a combination of gorgeous and total horseshit, all the dark scenes were approaching washed out with milky black levels and not much artistry in a lot of the shots, and my god, the lens flares.

It sounds like I'm being extremely negative, but I mostly feel like it was a missed chance for a completely genius masterpiece, but what we got was a pretty crazy and strange but still pretty incredible film lacking in cohesion, artistry, and budget, bringing it down quite a few notches. I have a lot more to say about the film, including powerful scenes, ideas, specific things I was extra-annoyed by, and the fact the first half is a time-travel noir thing and the second half a western telekinesis sci-fi thing, and how those two don't actually connect and how that's good and bad. It was still an impacting movie.
-Vader
telekinesis isn't random, it's a symptom of how the constant time travel, especially looping, has bended and manipulated space-time. Just imagine two straight lines on a space-time graph, and then close them together to make a Looping O, that is going to fuck with all dimensions, so those who exist in a loop have telekinesis ability, Joe doesn't because older Joe brakes their loop once and forever when he escapes. Thus Young Joe's sort of bitterness towards those with TK early, he's the only looper in that club who doesn't happen, little does he understand that's foreboding what's about to hit him, it's cuz he's the only looper whose loop will not close when all is said and done.

The character's don't understand how TK came with time travel because it's always been there for them being that they're already far into the loop. But I bet that first world with no time travel, before the mob starts creating all of these loops, has no tk.

Nice to see most of you guys are loving the film. Anyone else still going to see it today or soon?

Allstar wrote:Nice to see most of you guys are loving the film. Anyone else still going to see it today or soon?
I thought it was awesome. I'm not good at writing reviews but there is so much to take in and think about after seeing a movie like this. I can't wait to see it again to pick on things I didn't catch the first time.

dustbust5 wrote:
Vader182 wrote:I hate doing this, but I just sent allstar an unfocused summary of my thoughts, so I might as well post it here too.
Johnson successfully includes more brilliant science fiction ideas into one film than large collections of them in general, and as someone that is an admirer and enthusiast in sci-fi on and off the silver screen, it's a remarkable accomplishment just how many of those were innovative. I don't think I need to list them all. Basically and bluntly, tons of the movie was genius, tons of it worked and was powerful and evocative and beautiful. It's ambition is readily palpable and enjoyable. That said, the first 10-15 minutes felt contrived in its world building, each act felt totally disconnected from the others- events don't build and build, totally new plot elements are introduced and setting, tone, and narrative format change, with a new set of narrative goals. This lets the film feel grandiose, but mostly uneven and unfocused. Moreover, the budgetary constraints hugely hurt the credibility of the world. Come on, a panning cityscape wideshot isn't fooling anyone when the sets and dressed locations aren't lit consistent with the wide. Still, the effects were impressive for the budget, but the scale of the film was significantly wounded for this reason.

The telekinesis felt shoehorned in and not fitting in with every other element of the narrative. So, in the future, humans quite totally randomly evolved to have telekinetic abilities without any logic or reason behind it? It's fucking preposterous. That said, I thought the handling of it was almost always amazing and at times shocking and beautifully dramatic. Also, the film was rather predictable in a lot of its major plot points, which was sometimes handled amazingly well and other times blandly and boringly. Still, some hugely shocking 'wtf' moments, such as the new timeline creation following killing him and not killing him, which was the only genuinely mind-bending moment in the film, the rest was a more general type of shocking moment, like the film going as far to kill the children. The photography was a combination of gorgeous and total horseshit, all the dark scenes were approaching washed out with milky black levels and not much artistry in a lot of the shots, and my god, the lens flares.

It sounds like I'm being extremely negative, but I mostly feel like it was a missed chance for a completely genius masterpiece, but what we got was a pretty crazy and strange but still pretty incredible film lacking in cohesion, artistry, and budget, bringing it down quite a few notches. I have a lot more to say about the film, including powerful scenes, ideas, specific things I was extra-annoyed by, and the fact the first half is a time-travel noir thing and the second half a western telekinesis sci-fi thing, and how those two don't actually connect and how that's good and bad. It was still an impacting movie.
-Vader
telekinesis isn't random, it's a symptom of how the constant time travel, especially looping, has bended and manipulated space-time. Just imagine two straight lines on a space-time graph, and then close them together to make a Looping O, that is going to fuck with all dimensions, so those who exist in a loop have telekinesis ability, Joe doesn't because older Joe brakes their loop once and forever when he escapes. Thus Young Joe's sort of bitterness towards those with TK early, he's the only looper in that club who doesn't happen, little does he understand that's foreboding what's about to hit him, it's cuz he's the only looper whose loop will not close when all is said and done.

The character's don't understand how TK came with time travel because it's always been there for them being that they're already far into the loop. But I bet that first world with no time travel, before the mob starts creating all of these loops, has no tk.
:|

PowerDump wrote:
Allstar wrote:
Abe and his men had young Seth hostage and what they do to young Seth happens to old Seth... as you see in the movie with stuff young Joe does.
So then
if they find the younger Looper, there is no point in finding the older one (Sorry if this is common sense I saw this late last night and couldn't remember if this was obviously adressed)?
No they don't just want to kill the younger self. They just want him to fix what he has done then he can enjoy his 30 years.

xWhereAmI? wrote:
PowerDump wrote:
So then
if they find the younger Looper, there is no point in finding the older one (Sorry if this is common sense I saw this late last night and couldn't remember if this was obviously adressed)?
No they don't just want to kill the younger self. They just want him to fix what he has done then he can enjoy his 30 years.
Well finding the younger looper helps them for obvious reasons as what happened to Seth but they do NOT want to kill the younger version because as Abe explains they fear it will have too drastic of a change to the future but as explained in the movie nobody really knows exactly how it works.

Allstar wrote:Nice to see most of you guys are loving the film. Anyone else still going to see it today or soon?

Just got back from it. Won't say that I loved it, but it was worth seeing. I feel that it was much better on the page than on the screen. There were moments of absolute brilliance,
The "Year 1" montage, the flashbacks, including the "flashback" to events that never happen, i.e. Sara getting shot
but I feel that overall it could have been more. I will watch it again with the deleted scenes in hopes that I love it like I was hoping to.

Seeing this again tonight. :neutral:
Brave New World

ryan4butler wrote:Seeing this again tonight. :neutral:
You should be restricted from using smileys

Mr. Caine wrote:
ryan4butler wrote:Seeing this again tonight. :neutral:
You should be restricted from using smileys
Why? I love the movie. But I wanted to see it again when Im not rushed.
Brave New World