Reminiscence (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
MagnarTheGreat wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 10:37 am
Could even argue Chris Nolan himself isn't what he used to be.
What lol

ChristNolan wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 2:06 pm
MagnarTheGreat wrote:
What lol
If only he hadn't made his best action set piece in his latest film.
Master Virgo wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 1:53 pm
MagnarTheGreat wrote:

I appreciate that Nolan and his adjacents have managed to make some new IP, but being diet-Nolan or Nolanesque isn't good enough nowadays. Could even argue Chris Nolan himself isn't what he used to be.
Excuse me?

Good or bad, this is Lisa Joy's work. She is no one's fucking "adjacent".
Yep

ChristNolan wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 2:06 pm
MagnarTheGreat wrote:
What lol
Not particularly inaccurate if Tenet is anything to go by. Clearly his worst film.
Master Virgo wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 1:53 pm
MagnarTheGreat wrote:

I appreciate that Nolan and his adjacents have managed to make some new IP, but being diet-Nolan or Nolanesque isn't good enough nowadays. Could even argue Chris Nolan himself isn't what he used to be.
Excuse me?

Good or bad, this is Lisa Joy's work. She is no one's fucking "adjacent".
Yeah weird thing to say especially since Lisa never worked with Chris unlike Wally or Jonah.

It was shorthand for his sister-in-law of 12 years, his brother, and his former cinematographer until 2012. They all made new IP including Chris and his wife (producer). Could’ve just said ‘family’ but wanted to include Pfister.

I respectfully disagree, Tenet while perhaps not his best work? (i think tenet is among his best) or his most viewer friendly, its perhaps his most virtuous show of filmmaking craft next to Dunkirk, objectively speaking, "Following" is his worst feature film both technically and narratively, but even then i think i`d rather watch Following again than Reminiscence, you could say that even the worst iteration of Nolan`s original style has a gravitas and sense of artistic credibility that these "Nolan-like" or Nolan-esque" films cant quite catch, i wager its because even when these filmmakers pich this well tested formula to the studios, they still dont get the full creative freedom Chris gets, resulting in a bastardized, deluted and formulaic version of the style, its the same stuff that happens when people try to copy Scorsese or Tarantino, and i see it coming with people copying Villeneuve :lol:

Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 26th, 2021, 10:11 pm
I respectfully disagree, Tenet while perhaps not his best work? (i think tenet is among his best) or his most viewer friendly, its perhaps his most virtuous show of filmmaking craft next to Dunkirk, objectively speaking, "Following" is his worst feature film both technically and narratively, but even then i think i`d rather watch Following again than Reminiscence, you could say that even the worst iteration of Nolan`s original style has a gravitas and sense of artistic credibility that these "Nolan-like" or Nolan-esque" films cant quite catch, i wager its because even when these filmmakers pich this well tested formula to the studios, they still dont get the full creative freedom Chris gets, resulting in a bastardized, deluted and formulaic version of the style, its the same stuff that happens when people try to copy Scorsese or Tarantino, and i see it coming with people copying Villeneuve :lol:
please expand on 'objectively speaking'

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
August 27th, 2021, 12:16 am
Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 26th, 2021, 10:11 pm
please expand on 'objectively speaking'

-Vader
Objectively speaking as in Clear technical issues with the movie, the bad sound quality throughout most of the film, some props like the fake hand that is hit by the hammer in one scene, looks and feels cheap, wich is not helped by the sound desing, some inconsistencies in hair and make up from scene to scene, the cinematography is very minimal and it mostly works, but the night interior scenes show the lack of budget and equipment, these are all technical aspects in wich filmmakers and film lovers alike can agree, make Following the inferior one of Chris`s films (his shorts not widstanding), there is also the more complex, perhaps more ethereal case of its narrative, wich i also would argue is one of his clunkier ones, but i dont feel like i have such a confident grasp on that matter to state its objective inferiority.

PD: im not hating on Following, i love it, im just stating its issues that are to be expected of an almost no budget feature film form the 90`s