Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Love that this is almost like an extended version of the teaser trailer. It extends footage without revealing much new setups.

Not as good the famous Fallout trailer or the teaser trailer though. Doesn't matter because this is among my most anticipated films this year.

This is gonna make a billion no doubt, Cruise is on a high. Gotta say though, some really sweaty CGI in this. Like the train falling, and the dishes going zero-G for a sec looked untextured and like they don't have any mesh applied to them.

Mission: Impossible remains to be a high standard in action cinema because even if it's one of the weaker entries in the franchise it is still well worth seeing on the big screen. McQuarrie continues his trend he started with his first entry by bringing the series back to its espionage roots and that's great. The movie also keeps the style of Fallout with the globtrotting and musically enhanced setpieces in the vein of Nolan.

The stunts aren't as impressive as in Ghost Protocol or Rogue Nation but they more than get the job done and are still better than most action movies nowadays.

The movie's weakness are Hollywood cliches and the pretty bad tech mumbo jumbo that gets to the point of ridicule but at least the theme of the movie is timely and similarly to Top Gun: Maverick works on a postmodernist reading of the film as a fight between the digital and what the franchise represents - the analogue.

In terms of my ranking of the series:
1.Mission: Impossible 1996
★★★★½

2.Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 2011
★★★★

3.Mission: Impossible - Fallout 2018
★★★★

4.Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation 2015
★★★½

5.Mission: Impossible III 2006
★★★½

6.Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One 2023
★★★½

7.Mission: Impossible II 2000
★★★

Kinda a let down this was. Feels clunky compared to the other two McQuarrie films.

Yeah, liked this movie and the ending with the train cars was something, but overall little disappointed compared to the pre-release hype. None of these movies have had the most sophisticated plots, usually just involves chasing after some typical spy movie McGuffin, but this one's plot seemed the flimsiest...just enough A.I exposition here and there to move the characters from one action set piece to another.

Also, they did Rebecca Ferguson dirty...

I'm kind of surprised how this movie is not projected to have a massive opening. For the longest time it felt like this is the most anticipated movie of the summer. People are saying that the legs will make up for it, but isn't this weekend the first and last one that the movie is going to have most of the premium screens?

Not as good as Fallout but a good movie nonetheless.

Reminded me of Person of Interest which also had operatives working for an AI.

Also the whole movie should be posted in 'Hollywood Crushes' thread. 🥰

7.5-8/10
Now let's try to understand why it performs less than previous movies from the franchise, because having seen the film, I think it makes sense. Not because it's bad but because of some choices that I think fail to grasp what we love in this franchise:
1-Very serious themes: the MI have never dealt with a threat that feels so serious and personal to the audience. They want the movie to be taken seriously, and to raise question about AI, audiences want great entertainement. They kind of now that, and whereas the chase in Paris was very serious, the one in Rome has a lot of fun, but it doesn't really work. You can't compensate, as shown by the Pierce Brosnan's Bond which also tried.

2-Have it be a Part 1: the end is therefore less emotional and can't compensate for the issue I'll raise in 4-

3-A different pacing: the three acts structure of Fallout and Maverick was perfect, here they want to have more. A much longer cold opening, which ends up being too long, and leads to a less well paced movie. We even cut away from a big setpiece before the end (airport running).

4-The end of scenes is just not satisfying: at the end of the chase in Paris, Cruise gets Lane. It's thrilling and we get to point B. In London he loses Lark but it leads directly to Act 3. Here, he never gets Grace, she keeps escaping. Making the end of the chase in Rome less satisfying: no evolution of Grace as a character, Hunt not much closer from his goal. And in Venice, when Grace grows as a character, it's overshadowed by the decision which in my mind mostly makes the film a failure at the Box-office (with its release date :gonf: ): the death of Ilsa Faust. It's the first time the franchise kills such an important character. Never had the franchise killed one of the main character from another movie. And she dies, and it's not even in the final act of the film! If it was to give a bittersweet ending like Skyfall or OHMSS, why not? But here ? It really betrays the love the audience has for one the best character of the franchise.

5-The film has a difficulty making Luther, Ilsa and Benji participate in the action. The joy of those films was the group, it's much less present here than in 4, 5&6.

In the end, despite being one of the best script of the franchise with MI1&5, one of the most interesting thematically with MI1, and having incredible stunts that rival 4&6, the film is the least satisfying of the good MI (meaning I leave out 2&3, which are weaker films). it's a very well-made film but just not one that leaves you as entertained or exhilarated as 4, 5 & 6. And not as well mastered in what it says as 1. (I mean, De Palma was cooking). It's very interesting because it's such a well done film, what a score, the photography is beautiful, but it doesn't work as well as the others.
5>6=1>4=7