Knives Out (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ace

Last edited by Ace on July 2nd, 2019, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

hype af. love the tone of the trailer.

It looks very cool . I still have some doubts: I fear the movie needs the audience not to nitpick. Looper and SW8 both asked the audience to accept the journey sometimes, without asking too many questions. And I don't think this kind of writing would work in a murder mystery. Still, despite some flaws, Johnson always deliver imo with great scenes, characters and much fun.
The cast is great, I hope the murderer isn't Shannon or Collette because they both look like the actor/actress you'd hire to play the criminal. Having Langford or Evans be the murderer would be very ballsy.

Looks kind of... cheap? Which is strange considering Yedlin also shot TLJ and that looks fantastic.

Unless campy entertaining humor is what they're going for, which isn't really working in this trailer.

Rian's somehow made a movie that looks less cinematic than Looper and Brothers Bloom, which is no easy feat. That's probably why it looks "cheap" but then so do they.

Trailer is over-edited to hell too, but yes this'll probably be great fun.

-Vader

idk if having evans as the killer would be ballsy, he already seems like a very obvious choice to me lol

Ruth wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 12:05 pm
idk if having evans as the killer would be ballsy, he already seems like a very obvious choice to me lol
For me, Evans and Craig are the most obvious so we can eliminate them probably.

I agree with the other comments that it doesn't look cinematic but I really enjoyed the tone of the trailer and everyone in the cast seems to give really good performances based on this little bit we have seen.

Ace

I was hoping Rian would apply the lessons he learned on The Last Jedi, his best and most cinematic movie, to Knives Out. It doesn't seem like he did.

He's a peculiar filmmaker who writes very plotty movies whose plots trip over themselves, and his default visuals seem to be "slightly stylish coverage" with the occasional strong visual idea.

You get that a lot in all of his movies, including TLJ. Fingers crossed anyway.

-Vader

So at the end of the trailer there's a number you can text. Put the image in spoilers because it's so big (that's what she said)