Ford v. Ferrari (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Finally saw this today and thought it was excellent. Those auto racing scenes are worth the price of admission alone, and this is definitely the kind of movie you want to see while it's in theatres.

I love that this won Best Editing and Best Sound Editing, I wish Bale got a nomination too and the cinematography was stunning.

This is such a great film, it's the friendship first and races second but damn, they're both so evened out it's a perfect blend.

Can't wait for Mangold's next feature :angel:

I really loved
how Miles had such a loving relationship with his son and wife. I feel like a lot of movies like this the dude always sacrifices some key relationship but this dude included his son in everything he did and his wife supported him too. Bale did such a superb job of balancing all these relationships his character has along with the racing. He should have def gotten a nom.

Yeah that was the big emotional arc for me. I saw this with my dad and we both loved the film. It's such a well written film, and then it's elevated so much by the actors.

Artemis wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 3:33 pm
I really loved
how Miles had such a loving relationship with his son and wife. I feel like a lot of movies like this the dude always sacrifices some key relationship but this dude included his son in everything he did and his wife supported him too. Bale did such a superb job of balancing all these relationships his character has along with the racing. He should have def gotten a nom.
that's the aspect that didn't work for me actually. It all seemed like too traditional checking off the boxes stock character/relationships. And his character's goofball cartoonish manner wasn't that effective. Strangely, watching the races was more thrilling and spiritual. You would think ahead well its just gonna be a guy's close up in a car what's so exciting about that, but with the atmosphere they create with the sound and the look, it actually is more captivating. Especially, in the beginning with Damon's race, it had a ghost like atmosphere, haunting, and then he's sitting there at the doctor with that registering through his eyes. It almost was about to be an entirely different movie. This could've become a knockout performance.

Nomis wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 3:29 pm
I love that this won Best Editing and Best Sound Editing, I wish Bale got a nomination too and the cinematography was stunning.

This is such a great film, it's the friendship first and races second but damn, they're both so evened out it's a perfect blend.

Can't wait for Mangold's next feature :angel:
This is going to become a home theatre test film.

Just watched this again for the first time since the theaters, this time on 4k. This may not be just a very good film, it could be a great one.

And it is a near reference quality 4k experience. I have an 82" Samsung OLED and Dolby Atmos and it is one of the best visual and audio experiences I have had. The only reason it probably isn't THE best, is because I've seen certain films in 4k like Mission Impossible Fallout and the IMAX sequences in those films are sublime.