2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 7:38 am
Ottman did a great job. I don't know about best of the year, but it was impressive nonetheless.
yeah i found it especially impressive how a 30 second clip had like 25 cuts

Wait, one scene had too many cuts for your liking, so the film's editing in other parts can't possibly be good? Is that the argument?£

Master Virgo wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 8:22 am
Wait, one scene had too many cuts for your liking, so the film's editing in other parts can't possibly be good? Is that the argument?£
i didn’t say that lol. it does showcase the editing in this film is far from great though.

Kinda weak year for film editing anyways, nothing that really stood out like it usually does.

Even though I'm far from a fan of the editing style of Vice, it was probably the best of the year honestly. Bohemian Rhapsody didn't stand out to me at all, and that scene is laughable even if it's just one scene.

Edit: Never mind, American Animals is the best edited movie of 2018, by far. Too bad nobody saw it.

Awarding best editing is usually difficult to be honest. The best edits are usually the ones you really don't notice (other than in something like Edgar Wright or Paul Greengrass films) so it's a thankless job in the first place.

That scene from Bohemian Rhapsody and other ones that included the whole band are pretty terrible. However, I also take the general pacing of the movie into account and Bohemian's wasn't that bad to be honest. The movie flies by.

Ottman's win is an industry thing I suspect. He managed to pull together something legible out of what was likely a mess.

Yeah. Also the editor had the most influence over the film after Singer was fired so it might be a way of the industry disregarding Singer's involvement in the film's success.

It's pretty obvious that Ottman won because of the "salvaging the movie from a trainwreck production" narrative. And that's embedded in the editing style of the movie. The editing is bad (and yes, that clip is pretty emblematic of the movie's editing style) because it constantly looks like someone is piecing together what is barely a coherent film from insufficient coverage. That seems, to me, highly related to the onset drama and disappearance of the director.

Good for Ottman to have pulled it off, but his editing, despite the effort, is still atrocious. Imagine all the great editors in the room, thinking how on earth did their industry just award Bohemian Rhapsody for Best Editing. It's completely absurd.
LelekPL wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:16 am
Yeah. Also the editor had the most influence over the film after Singer was fired so it might be a way of the industry disregarding Singer's involvement in the film's success.
It must be noted that John Ottman has been a close collaborator with Singer since The Usual Suspects. So while I'll never go so far as to call him a Singer supporter, he's surely in the Singer camp.

anarchy wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:16 am
It's pretty obvious that Ottman won because of the "salvaging the movie from a trainwreck production" narrative. And that's embedded in the editing style of the movie. The editing is bad (and yes, that clip is pretty emblematic of the movie's editing style) because it constantly looks like someone is piecing together what is barely a coherent film from insufficient coverage. That seems, to me, highly related to the onset drama and disappearance of the director.

Good for Ottman to have pulled it off, but his editing, despite the effort, is still atrocious. Imagine all the great editors in the room, thinking how on earth did their industry just award Bohemian Rhapsody for Best Editing. It's completely absurd.
LelekPL wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:16 am
It must be noted that John Ottman has been a close collaborator with Singer since The Usual Suspects. So while I'll never go so far as to call him a Singer supporter, he's surely in the Singer camp.
Well, interestingly enough, he also won the vote of editors at ACE.£

And the Editor's branch determines the nominees so...

I also think it might be a bit of a career award since he's done very good work for a long time without reward.