2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Academy ghettoizing blockbusters / "popular movies" is a desperate attempt at relevancy while demeaning the quality of the movies this category will include. They can drink at the bar but can't be seen with the other guests. All the more troubling is they're doing this because of Black Panther--it's essentially transparent tokenism.

And yes, whether you think BP warrants a nomination is not the point. Every year there are movies that skirt the edge between art and entertainment. That's nothing new, and the discourse around Black Panther isn't new either. It happens every single year. Last year, Wonder Woman was a massive cultural hit with acclaim and DC fans didn't burn down the Dolby Theatre. There's dozens of recent examples. Acting like your opinion on the movie is the least bit relevant to this conversation is misplaced narcissism.

This is nothing more than ugly plea for relevancy that patronizes popular movies and keeps them further than ever from major nominations.

-Vader

Allstar wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 10:37 am
Bacon wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 1:47 am
Vader182 wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 1:31 am
whether or not BP would have been nominated is entirely not the point
But isn't part of the point/problem how the general public would have reacted to a film like Black Panther (which critically and technically has very little place getting a nom for Best Picture) getting snubbed from a nom simply off it's cultural relevance? That's what caused the Academy to act so stupid in the first place like you just said.
You’re subjective opinion of Black Panther is irrelevant to it getting/deserving a best picture nom. You’re in the minority.
Obviously you dolt. Doesn't change the point. Way to miss it.
anarchy wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 11:52 am
And don't forget how difficult it has been to predict the Oscars in the recent few years, given the influx of new members that are supposed to represent the younger and more diverse side of Hollywood. I suspect it was these people who pushed Moonlight and Get Out into BP, and don't see why they won't push Black Panther into it. I believe Black Panther has very passionate industry support, but I'm just speculating.
I had a predictions list last year and I was only off by 1.

Bacon wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 1:22 pm
Allstar wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 10:37 am
Bacon wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 1:47 am

But isn't part of the point/problem how the general public would have reacted to a film like Black Panther (which critically and technically has very little place getting a nom for Best Picture) getting snubbed from a nom simply off it's cultural relevance? That's what caused the Academy to act so stupid in the first place like you just said.
You’re subjective opinion of Black Panther is irrelevant to it getting/deserving a best picture nom. You’re in the minority.
Obviously you dolt. Doesn't change the point. Way to miss it.
anarchy wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 11:52 am
And don't forget how difficult it has been to predict the Oscars in the recent few years, given the influx of new members that are supposed to represent the younger and more diverse side of Hollywood. I suspect it was these people who pushed Moonlight and Get Out into BP, and don't see why they won't push Black Panther into it. I believe Black Panther has very passionate industry support, but I'm just speculating.
I had a predictions list last year and I was only off by 1.
Good for you. I guess I shouldn't have said "difficult to predict"; if anything, the recent Oscars have been rather easy to predict, as most contenders do the whole Venice/TIFF/Telluride path into the Dolby Theatre. What I meant is every year there is at least one surprise contender competing for various reasons (whether it follows the traditional festival route or not). Last year, it was clearly Get Out, and I believe the success of Get Out was largely due to the influx of new AMPAS members (pure speculation though). And I believe Black Panther has a strong chance to repeat this route to Oscar success, as it not only has everything Get Out has (universal acclaim, cultural phenomenon, diversity, original storytelling), but also to a much bigger degree.

The real question right now is whether the support for Black Panther is strong enough to override this new Best Popular Film category and still send it to the most prestigious categories. I believe it is possible and those who support Black Panther shouldn't automatically have their hopes dashed. But it largely depends on whether Disney is still willing to give it the sort of push it needs for the big categories, and I doubt the current Disney is, especially due to the rumors of ABC forcing AMPAS to establish this category.

Maybe they should just wait and see what their massively expanded membership does with voting this year?

Ace
Academy Postponing New Popular Oscar Category
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ry-1140423
The Academy announced today, following a meeting of the board of governors on Tuesday, that it is shelving the idea for the moment and will not launch the proposed new award at the next Oscar show, but it said it will continue to discuss the idea for the new award and "will examine and seek additional input regarding the new category." The announcement explained that implementing the new award nine months into the year "created challenges for films that have already been released. The Academy did not provide any timeline for when further details about the new award might be decided.

“There has been a wide range of reactions to the introduction of a new award, and we recognize the need for further discussion with our members,” said Academy CEO Dawn Hudson on Thursday. “We have made changes to the Oscars over the years — including this year — and we will continue to evolve while also respecting the incredible legacy of the last 90 years.”

Good decision. So now, they made all the right moves - they shortened the show and didn't make the Popular Film category. Success

Can't wait for Black Panther to get a Best Picture nomination it doesn't deserve now when people forgot about about 5-10 other better films to come out this year

If the voters think Black Panther deserves to be nominated for Best Picture, then so be it.

it probably says something about you if you get up in arms about black panther getting a nomination for "not being deserving" but don't care that like 50% of best picture noms movies don't "deserve it" either

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 11:08 pm
it probably says something about you if you get up in arms about black panther getting a nomination for "not being deserving" but don't care that like 50% of best picture noms movies don't "deserve it" either

-Vader
Yep.