2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
it has nothing to do with the Oscars

the burden for movies about race is to not say toxic shit about race

PS, “but I like blackkklansman” is literally the equivalent to saying “I’m not racist, have a black friend” and is not good look.

-Vader

Sunshine and rainbows.

A new Nolan movie is coming out next year, everyone. Rejoice!
Last edited by LelekPL on February 25th, 2019, 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

This whole thread is incredibly toxic.

Who wants some more venom?

Yeah, I just edited my last post. That convo with Vader isn't getting anyone anywhere.

lol convo with vader isn’t going anywhere

oh my goooord

It's fascinating how many controversies the film, managed to escape from, to finally win the top prize. From Mortensen being an ignorant white (on two occasions) to Farelly's dick-displaying pranks to the Valleronga/Trump situation and then Don Shirly's family thing and the outrage over the inaccurate portrayal of racism.

Zero Dark Thirty had one bullshit-based controversy going on for it and it was enough to ruin its chances.£

Vader182 wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 11:09 am
it has nothing to do with the Oscars

the burden for movies about race is to not say toxic shit about race

PS, “but I like blackkklansman” is literally the equivalent to saying “I’m not racist, have a black friend” and is not good look.

-Vader

Yeah, I actually saw how that looked after I wrote it lol. Point was that you called me biased after I had even said that Roma was my favorite. I thought you meant my bias towards the other movies in the category compared to it. But I definitely would have voted for Obama for a third period.

I'm not saying that the criticism it gets is invalid (and by the way, your post a few pages back is the first time I've seen actual arguments for what's wrong with it), but for me, the performances of Mortensen and Ali and the chemistry between the two characters made for a really enjoyable time at the theater.

I did raise my eyebrows a few times when I saw it, but I had nowhere near the same viewpoint as you afterwords. No other movie from last year made me laugh as much as Green Book. Maybe if I watch it again I'll feel differently about it, but it still wouldn't take away from the great performances.

And the movie has recieved pretty good reviews. So it can't be that controversial to like it. If a good majority of reviewers liked it despite the controversies, I really don't see the big deal about it winning BP, unless you're in the boat that believes every Oscar winner needs to say something important about our society. Which I'm definitely not in.

Congratulation to The Greenest Book for winning Best Picture. Such an inspiring story of a white man who had the courage to know a black man. How could anyone root against that? Cause if you really think about it, we are all the same ninjas.

If no one got that that was from a Desus & Mero skit, lol.

But seriously, I was pretty much rooting for like the only two nominated films I’ve seen in any of the categories; Black Panther and Incredibles 2. I really need to catch up.

Also, I want to add that I was watching THR writers roundtable and Peter Farrelly said something along the lines that he included a particular scene to show that there were good and bad cops in the 60’s. He wanted to remind the audience that not all cops were racist at that time. I think, he unintentionally highlights the history around race which is mostly understood in such an extreme way. Racism is not binary, like racist=bad person, not racist=good person. You can be a good person and also be complicit in upholding structures of racism. The two is not mutual exclusive. I think that's something important to consider when you are talking about race and racism.

Oku wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 5:56 am

No, it doesn't, and historical accuracy has nothing to do with a film's quality. This isn't hard to understand.
Didn't say it had to be historically accurate. I don't care about that but let's at least get Don Shirley's family involved somehow and I don't care what that Vallelonga idiot said what Shirley allegedly told him before he died about not talking to anyone else. I said it needed to address racism better and it didn't. Pay attention. This isn't hard to understand.
Oku wrote:

Sanchez is not American.

Also what does this have to do with anything. Racism is everywhere so he turns blind to it because he's not American. Is he ignorant enough to not know it does exist? I don't think so.

bootsy wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 3:33 pm
Oku wrote:

Sanchez is not American.

Also what does this have to do with anything. Racism is everywhere so he turns blind to it because he's not American. Is he ignorant enough to not know it does exist? I don't think so.
nooooo but you don’t get it, in europe we do blackface on tv and then pretend we don’t understand why it’s bad