2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I just saw the news and if this means Viggo will be in more movies, great. Don’t care about the Oscars though, meaningless ceremony that was once my sleepless night.

It seems like lately they cannot award best director and best picture to the same movie anymore

with Green Book, where some see a story of a black man reuniting with his black culture as a white man learns empathy and tolerance, others see a story of a white man imposing his cultural prejudices onto a black man out of his own pigheaded ignorance, only for that black man to slowly conform to that white man's conception of him.

it's not that this is "old fashioned" or a relic of the 80s, it's that it is fundamentally about people of color conforming to the way white people perceive them. The way people of color eat, the way they dress, the music they listen to, and the music they play. It's about presenting black people as acting "more black" for the satisfaction of white people.

Ask yourself this question:

if "Green Book" is a feel good movie, who is feeling good, and why?

-Vader

Thanks bootsy. I was more complaining about the costume/production design of BP not because of the African influence or tribal suits but because so much of the technology/city and costumes are really rough to look at or not pretty. The upgraded purple Black Panther suit (and Kilgrave's similar suit) is not very attractive to the eyes and that's the main costume on display for the latter half of the film. Production design is also iffy because of how much of it felt fake and green screened in to me. It felt like an after-thought at certain points and could have been much stronger if they had really committed with what they were going for.

This isn't even about my opinions on the film. I could love the film like everyone else and still have those issues.

xWhereAmI? wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 2:56 am
It seems like lately they cannot award best director and best picture to the same movie anymore
It happened last year, man lol

All awards for Bohemian are laughable.

Bacon wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 3:21 am
Thanks bootsy. I was more complaining about the costume/production design of BP not because of the African influence or tribal suits but because so much of the technology/city and costumes are really rough to look at or not pretty. The upgraded purple Black Panther suit (and Kilgrave's similar suit) is not very attractive to the eyes and that's the main costume on display for the latter half of the film. Production design is also iffy because of how much of it felt fake and green screened in to me. It felt like an after-thought at certain points and could have been much stronger if they had really committed with what they were going for.

This isn't even about my opinions on the film. I could love the film like everyone else and still have those issues.

xWhereAmI? wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 2:56 am
It happened last year, man lol
Whoops I totally forgot :facepalm:

Worst Best Picture winner since last year.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 4:08 am
Worst Best Picture winner since last year.
I'll be honest I kind of forgot who won. I'm still trying to remember. Let me go look :lol:

I'm honestly trying to do it without looking and I can't remember. That's pretty bad. Three Billboards?