2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I still need to watch Beale Street.

Moonlight had such gorgeous cinematography. Jenkins really knows how to evoke emotion with his shots.

m4st4 wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 4:07 am
I’ll watch the monologue soon and Spider-verse won something so that’s pretty much good enough for me. The rest is, as I can only imagine, probably as bad as ever. Wait, Bohemian won something? Trololololo...🕷️

Edit: rip this world after that monologue... I already miss Ricky Gervais. Next year is probably going to end up being worse, with everyone’s skin in the audience around 1mm thick.
That was the best thing the entire night for me. Now for a repeat at the Oscars.

Artemis wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 8:42 pm
American Society of Cinematographers Nominations
Theatrical Release

Alfonso Cuarón for Roma

Matthew Libatique, ASC for A Star is Born

Robbie Ryan, BSC, ISC for The Favourite

Linus Sandgren, ASC, FSF for First Man

Łukasz Żal, PSC for Cold War
https://theasc.com/news/asc-awards-feat ... s-revealed

Cuarón is a nice surprise and Libatique doing cinematography for Venom and A Star Is Born will never not be funny.
Out of these 5 I would take off Robbie Ryan for James Laxton. The Favourite's cinematography doesn't work for me at all times, as artistically bold as it is.

With The Favourite though, Ryan was working with natural light for a lot of the scenes. And natural light can be a pain to work with. Then in some scenes it was just candlelight. It's a pain to work with that kind of lighting but he made it work beautifully in my opinion.

I would have to agree with Vader. Switch Libatique for Laxton.

This shitty awards season is what everyone gets for letting "First Man" be forgotten about

xWhereAmI? wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 11:27 pm
This shitty awards season is what everyone gets for letting "First Man" be forgotten about
lmao

i’ll never not be salty about what 2018 did to first man

I will always be salty about Widows. Everyone in that cast acted their fucking hearts out and not a single nomination.

Smh.

Artemis wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 11:49 pm
I will always be salty about Widows. Everyone in that cast acted their fucking hearts out and not a single nomination.

Smh.
:clap:

As we all know, Widows and First Man, as well as more highly praised films like Annihilation and You Were Never..., need to receive Fury Road, Get Out, Gravity or at the very least Black Panther level of praise normally to be included in awards season discussions. That is, when you get past the critics circle awards.

That's just the rule unfortunately. A popular musical or an oscar appropriate biographical drama can always get away with a lot less praise. It's such a typical thing every year, that you can see it from a mile away.

If they would have diversified the voters not just in terms of gender and race, but also in terms of age and movie genres that they have been active on, we could have seen more justice towards all types of films.£

Master Virgo wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 2:58 am
As we all know, Widows and First Man, as well as more highly praised films like Annihilation and You Were Never..., need to receive Fury Road, Get Out, Gravity or at the very least Black Panther level of praise normally to be included in awards season discussions. That is, when you get past the critics circle awards.
Yup. So much this.