Rub & Tug (TBD)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 3:35 pm
MyCocaine wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 3:29 pm
Artemis wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 3:01 pm
Yaaaaaasssss Scarlett!! Greatest actress eva!!!!!! Can't wait to see you kick ass in a cis woman role in Black Widow girl!
Okay but for real though. This is pretty awesome of her to do. I imagine for a lot of actors it must be hard to withdraw from a role since you're essentially losing out on a paycheck. So kudos to her for making a very tough decision.
She brought this mess upon herself. There's nothing to applaud.

She just doesn't give a shit. An entitled brat with zero awareness.
Never ever going to say a nice thing about Scarlett again if this is the response I get. :lol:
I unironically do agree with you though. But unlike with the Ghost in the Shell debacle, at least she stepped away from this.
It's MyCocaine though, his response doesn't matter.

‘Rub & Tug’ Reportedly Not Moving Forward Due To Scarlett Johansson Departure
Scarlett Johansson is one of the few actors in Hollywood, male or female, that can get a film produced just on their name alone. If Johansson signs up for a film, and agrees to help produce it, then suddenly there are a ton of studios that are interested. It appears that’s the case with the film “Rub & Tug.” Without her involvement, the film seems to be falling apart.

A couple weeks ago, we found out that Johansson would star and produce in a biopic about Pittsburgh crime boss Dante Tex Gill. The film would have seen the actress play the part of a trans man who ran a ring of illicit massage parlors and a steroids empire in the ‘70s. However, the backlash came quick and hard, with LGBTQ actors, actresses, and groups coming out against her casting, calling it problematic. It didn’t help that she was teaming with director Rupert Sanders, who helmed the other controversial film starring Johansson, “Ghost in the Shell.”

Johansson recently pulled out of the project, with a statement saying, “In light of recent ethical questions raised surrounding my casting as Dante Tex Gill, I have decided to respectfully withdraw my participation in the project.” And according to The Wrap, since her departure from the project, there’s no guarantee that the story will be told, at all.

The report says that it “doesn’t look good for the movie,” meaning the project might just die altogether without Johansson’s involvement. As sad as it is to see an interesting story like Gill’s not get the proper treatment, this shows that the actress’ name was the biggest selling factor. And yes, it would appear that Johansson did the right thing and pulled out of the film. However, in doing so, it appears that she doomed the entire production, for better or worse.

The Wrap says Sanders is still attached to direct, but without Johansson’s involvement, it’s likely not enough to move forward.
https://theplaylist.net/rub-tug-johanss ... -20180717/

no one could've seen this coming

Cilogy wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 8:24 pm
MyCocaine wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 3:29 pm
An entitled brat with zero awareness.
Definitely reminds me of someone.
i give this post a like

Pratham wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 3:40 am
‘Rub & Tug’ Reportedly Not Moving Forward Due To Scarlett Johansson Departure
Scarlett Johansson is one of the few actors in Hollywood, male or female, that can get a film produced just on their name alone. If Johansson signs up for a film, and agrees to help produce it, then suddenly there are a ton of studios that are interested. It appears that’s the case with the film “Rub & Tug.” Without her involvement, the film seems to be falling apart.

A couple weeks ago, we found out that Johansson would star and produce in a biopic about Pittsburgh crime boss Dante Tex Gill. The film would have seen the actress play the part of a trans man who ran a ring of illicit massage parlors and a steroids empire in the ‘70s. However, the backlash came quick and hard, with LGBTQ actors, actresses, and groups coming out against her casting, calling it problematic. It didn’t help that she was teaming with director Rupert Sanders, who helmed the other controversial film starring Johansson, “Ghost in the Shell.”

Johansson recently pulled out of the project, with a statement saying, “In light of recent ethical questions raised surrounding my casting as Dante Tex Gill, I have decided to respectfully withdraw my participation in the project.” And according to The Wrap, since her departure from the project, there’s no guarantee that the story will be told, at all.

The report says that it “doesn’t look good for the movie,” meaning the project might just die altogether without Johansson’s involvement. As sad as it is to see an interesting story like Gill’s not get the proper treatment, this shows that the actress’ name was the biggest selling factor. And yes, it would appear that Johansson did the right thing and pulled out of the film. However, in doing so, it appears that she doomed the entire production, for better or worse.

The Wrap says Sanders is still attached to direct, but without Johansson’s involvement, it’s likely not enough to move forward.
https://theplaylist.net/rub-tug-johanss ... -20180717/

no one could've seen this coming
No one was going to see this movie anyway

I hope all the whiners are happy now that a movie with a central trans charcater can't get off the ground.£

Is it possible for a person to play a thing they're not and it not be a minstrel show? Hmm

If ScarJo leaving as star is enough to make the whole project fall apart, then perhaps there was some drama behind the scenes that we don't know about. A star leaving before shooting shouldn't be this big of a problem. Recasting happens.

This project was probably doomed from the start if it's this big of an upset.

It might have been a PR move to hold back on putting the news out about not moving forward with production. I bet they decided to pull the plug when ScarlJo left the project and made no effort to audition any Trans actors.

Artemis wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 6:49 pm
If ScarJo leaving as star is enough to make the whole project fall apart, then perhaps there was some drama behind the scenes that we don't know about. A star leaving before shooting shouldn't be this big of a problem. Recasting happens.

This project was probably doomed from the start if it's this big of an upset.
the film's budget/ whole trajectory is based on her star power, and there currently aren't any trans actors that are as big a draw. it would have to be scaled down and at that point it's a mid-range film the investors didn't sign up for

It's kind of a shame because it opens up to a larger discussion about casting.

I mean, blaming ScarJo for the failure is stupid. I think she did what she thought was right.

Then the filmmakers are in a bind where they have to find a trans actor who could play the part without backlash, but there's no one high profile enough for it. But at the same time how is a trans actor supposed to reach that level of fame without getting roles like this? I mean the rest of Hollywood isn't exactly jumping at the chance to scout trans talent. This role would make a trans actor famous for sure.

Fucking stupid vicious circle bullshit.