Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Sanchez wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 7:01 pm
More people need to see this movie.
more people need to see a lot of movies this year. a lot of high profile flops.

-Vader

Yeah, good point. Starting to fall behind myself at this point, even though I've already seen almost twice as many films in theater in 2018 as I've ever done in a single year.

But I did not expect this movie to be this good. The cinematography is completely captivating, and the story was great. Cynthia Erivo was fantastic, can't wait to see her in Widows.

ngl i still sometimes hum ‘this old heart of mine’ to myself lol. it’s embarrassing my theater only showed this for a week.

OMG I forgot to gush about this movie.

I saw this because of word of mouth I got from some of my friends. This one girl I know works in product placement and her company sent this film products. She gets paid to watch films and takes notes on how the products are used. After she watched this movie, she came to the group chat and gushed about it a lot.

When I went to see it, I totally got the hype. It is such an interesting story and such a great ensemble piece.

I wish we got more info on
the FBI and the stuff that is connected with the hotel and more backstory on Chris Hemsworth's character.
Aside from Social Network, this is probably the first film I've see Dakota Johnson in. I kind of had pre-concieved notions about her because of 50 Shades and nepotism, but I was proven wrong. She was really good in this movie and she was of course fantastic in Suspiria. So I am on that hype train 100% now.

Cynthia Erivo and Jeff Bridges were so great in their scenes together.
The clapping scene had me on the edge of my seat.
I totally understand the critiques about the movie being way too long. By the third act I was like "omg pls be over." But then
Lewis Pullman pulled (pun totally intended) me back in. His acting in this death scene was amazing and I look forward to see more of his work.
tl;dr I love this movie a lot. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

I generally really liked this film, especially from a stylistic perspective, although I thought the writing was often sub-par, which I found pretty disappointing. There were also some jarring tonal shifts, which took me out of the movie. I thought this movie was a lot of fun and had some fun performances but I do wish the script had a few more drafts written.

If you're going to spend inordinate amounts of time having your characters chit chat, you would want that dialogue to pop at some stage. It just doesn't here. A curious misfire with a fun movie buried in there.

Mystery about Chris Hemsworth solved (4:51):

ArmandFancypants wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 9:23 pm
If you're going to spend inordinate amounts of time having your characters chit chat, you would want that dialogue to pop at some stage. It just doesn't here. A curious misfire with a fun movie buried in there.
I can agree that the dialogue was a bit dull. Especially Jon Hamm's dialogue at the start of the film when he introduces himself.

But at the same time, I didn't really mind it because the chemistry amongst all the actors was really great. I think they played off each other very well.