The Eternals (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Posts: 1042
Joined: January 2016
Location: DE
Skyab23 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:17 am
http://collider.com/marvel-lgbtq-charac ... 9Decdx6ohQ

Kevin Feige Confirms LGBTQ Marvel Characters in ‘Eternals’ and ‘Thor 4’
..."the sequel would find Valkyrie “looking for her Queen.” :lol:

Isn't the rumor that Captain Marvel will also identify as LGBTQ?

Most studies show an overestimation of LGBTQ population: Most people think it is over 23%, whereas in actuality, in the U.S. it is only 4.5%. With the shoehorning in of all of these LGBTQ characters in Marvel, one would be forgiven for mistaking that the global population of those that identify as the aforementioned is in the twenty percentile.

This is why people have an issue with the force-feeding of social justice in movies: it isn't because people are against seeing representation, it is when only 4.5% of the population (and I presume the world population is similar, as 327 million is a pretty good sample size) identifies as such.
These will literally be the first openly LGBTQ characters in MCU movies, and that took like 12 years. And now apparently there will be like 3 of them. How is that too much
Skyab23 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:46 am
Ruth, you don't have to start with the attacks by saying, "if it turns you off that says a lot about you." I'm trying to look at it from a statistical point of view. I agree with you when you say that historically, they have been underrepresented and stereotyped, that is absolutely true. My point, however, is that if a studio starts to reveal with every other film that one of its characters is LGBTQ, and assuming it doesn't serve the plot, it is just there to show more representation, how is that not appeasement on the part of the studio? It isn't organic, it is shoehorned in and people feel these corporations are forcefeeding it down the consumers' throats.

I have seen a lot of focus groups and studies that strongly suggest that one of the primary reasons that 61 million people voted for Donald Trump (of which I am not one of) is because of what they perceive as an obvious social agenda that lambasts white privilege, suggests reparations is appropriate and if you disagree with an exponential increase in a very small segment of the population in movies, then you are clearly a bigoted racist.

Emotional attacks are now the preferred method of debate rather than substantive discussions. We may have evolved over the years into becoming a more socially accepting society but we have regressed when it comes to debating in a respectful manner.
Why does the sexuality of a character needs to serve the plot anyway? So you're saying there should be a plot reason for a character to be gay or otherwise they should fall back to "default"? Representation is reason enough.

Also, are there any statistics that show how many movie characters actually are LGBTQ? You make it sound like it's the majority, but I'd assume that number doesn't exceed the 4.5% that much if at all. Other people just feel like LGBTQs are over represented.

Posts: 25372
Joined: June 2011
Skyab23 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:17 am
http://collider.com/marvel-lgbtq-charac ... 9Decdx6ohQ

Kevin Feige Confirms LGBTQ Marvel Characters in ‘Eternals’ and ‘Thor 4’
..."the sequel would find Valkyrie “looking for her Queen.” :lol:

Isn't the rumor that Captain Marvel will also identify as LGBTQ?

Most studies show an overestimation of LGBTQ population: Most people think it is over 23%, whereas in actuality, in the U.S. it is only 4.5%. With the shoehorning in of all of these LGBTQ characters in Marvel, one would be forgiven for mistaking that the global population of those that identify as the aforementioned is in the twenty percentile.

This is why people have an issue with the force-feeding of social justice in movies: it isn't because people are against seeing representation, it is when only 4.5% of the population (and I presume the world population is similar, as 327 million is a pretty good sample size) identifies as such.
Not attacking you personally, but why on earth does this even matter and why did you think it matter enough to actually post about it?

Skyab23 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:17 am
http://collider.com/marvel-lgbtq-charac ... 9Decdx6ohQ

Kevin Feige Confirms LGBTQ Marvel Characters in ‘Eternals’ and ‘Thor 4’
..."the sequel would find Valkyrie “looking for her Queen.” :lol:

Isn't the rumor that Captain Marvel will also identify as LGBTQ?

Most studies show an overestimation of LGBTQ population: Most people think it is over 23%, whereas in actuality, in the U.S. it is only 4.5%. With the shoehorning in of all of these LGBTQ characters in Marvel, one would be forgiven for mistaking that the global population of those that identify as the aforementioned is in the twenty percentile.

This is why people have an issue with the force-feeding of social justice in movies: it isn't because people are against seeing representation, it is when only 4.5% of the population (and I presume the world population is similar, as 327 million is a pretty good sample size) identifies as such.
where were your stats when white straight men were over-represented for the past 100 years?

every character in the mcu should be a gay minority until the general public is used to it

Posts: 42058
Joined: May 2010
Artemis wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:48 am
Even if the LGBTQ+ population is 4.5%, having like two or three Marvel characters identify as LGBTQ+ still fits in with the statistics.
Waiting for his response to this.

Posts: 8116
Joined: August 2009
Allstar wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 6:43 pm
Artemis wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:48 am
Even if the LGBTQ+ population is 4.5%, having like two or three Marvel characters identify as LGBTQ+ still fits in with the statistics.
Waiting for his response to this.
He has no response to this because I owned him with his own stats lmao

Posts: 42058
Joined: May 2010
Artemis wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 7:03 pm
Allstar wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 6:43 pm
Artemis wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:48 am
Even if the LGBTQ+ population is 4.5%, having like two or three Marvel characters identify as LGBTQ+ still fits in with the statistics.
Waiting for his response to this.
He has no response to this because I owned him with his own stats lmao
Yep.

Posts: 12080
Joined: February 2011
Skyab23 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:17 am
http://collider.com/marvel-lgbtq-charac ... 9Decdx6ohQ

Kevin Feige Confirms LGBTQ Marvel Characters in ‘Eternals’ and ‘Thor 4’
..."the sequel would find Valkyrie “looking for her Queen.” :lol:

Isn't the rumor that Captain Marvel will also identify as LGBTQ?

Most studies show an overestimation of LGBTQ population: Most people think it is over 23%, whereas in actuality, in the U.S. it is only 4.5%. With the shoehorning in of all of these LGBTQ characters in Marvel, one would be forgiven for mistaking that the global population of those that identify as the aforementioned is in the twenty percentile.

This is why people have an issue with the force-feeding of social justice in movies: it isn't because people are against seeing representation, it is when only 4.5% of the population (and I presume the world population is similar, as 327 million is a pretty good sample size) identifies as such.
If this is not downright homophobia, then I don't know what is. He's laughing at the idea of someone's choice of sexuality. Why is this allowed here?

even if there were a gay majority of mcu characters it wouldn't validate his argument. A) he's ignoring the context of a history of under-representation B) the idea that the number of minority characters in film should be enforced and limited is super problematic to begin with C) the fact that he has only now taken the noble stance of 'statistically accurate representation' after the increase from 0 to 3 gay characters shows he is just using stats as a front to legitimize his homophobia

Posts: 7247
Joined: August 2012
Master Virgo wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 9:29 pm
Skyab23 wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 11:17 am
http://collider.com/marvel-lgbtq-charac ... 9Decdx6ohQ

Kevin Feige Confirms LGBTQ Marvel Characters in ‘Eternals’ and ‘Thor 4’
..."the sequel would find Valkyrie “looking for her Queen.” :lol:

Isn't the rumor that Captain Marvel will also identify as LGBTQ?

Most studies show an overestimation of LGBTQ population: Most people think it is over 23%, whereas in actuality, in the U.S. it is only 4.5%. With the shoehorning in of all of these LGBTQ characters in Marvel, one would be forgiven for mistaking that the global population of those that identify as the aforementioned is in the twenty percentile.

This is why people have an issue with the force-feeding of social justice in movies: it isn't because people are against seeing representation, it is when only 4.5% of the population (and I presume the world population is similar, as 327 million is a pretty good sample size) identifies as such.
If this is not downright homophobia, then I don't know what is. He's laughing at the idea of someone's choice of sexuality. Why is this allowed here?
It’s not. I warned him.

Posts: 18687
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
here's the thing i don't get. even back when i was a super religious bigoted guy, my whole thing was who gives a flying fuck if somebody's gay or not, whether that's in the media or in real life. it affects your life 0% other than exposure to someone different from you.


-Vader

Post Reply