Us (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
then...that..is..good? not sure what you're looking for here

-Vader

It's just a poorly phrased statement from Peele and a terrible title to an article. If he said that he wants to give more lead acting opportunities to black people, which is what he's actually saying if you read the whole thing, it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Vader182 wrote:
March 28th, 2019, 5:02 am

-Vader
Sorry, I first thought you meant you can't divorce race from casting in general, i.e. that race should be the focal point for theme and plot regardless

prowlercomesaround wrote:
March 28th, 2019, 6:07 am
Vader182 wrote:
March 28th, 2019, 5:02 am

-Vader
Sorry, I first thought you meant you can't divorce race from casting in general, i.e. that race should be the focal point for theme and plot regardless
Race is ALWAYS a factor in casting, whether it's securing a white guy since it's normative and safe and makes the suits feel good or making a movie like 12 Years a Slave that's subject matter is expressly about race. The idea you can compartmentalize these issues is very much a White Dude point of view.

White people need to feel a lot less Victimized* when we're told our POVs have saturated culture for literally all of time. That doesn't mean our stories shouldn't still get told, and of course they will get told, but Peele's not saying anything out of line here.

-Vader

Master Virgo wrote:
March 28th, 2019, 3:37 am
Bacon wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 6:18 pm
It'd be different if Peele came out and said that Us was not made for or should not be seen by a specific audience.
Huh. Is that an attempt to throw a jab at Larson?£
A small one. I'm just saying Peele's statements aren't nearly as targeted or problematic as Larson's were perceived to be. The reaction to Larson's comments were absurd, but Larson definitely could have phrased some of her statements better. I feel Peele hasn't phrased things in a way worth being controversial and hasn't really said anything worth a reaction here.

I mean he didn’t even say he wouldn’t cast white (male) actors in his films at all. Just not the lead roles, which is absolutely fine by me, considering literally the vast absolute majority of films we’ve all probably seen were led by a white dude.

I’m obviously white so media representation of white women is definitely A LOT better than that of poc representation, but I can absolutely understand watching a film led by a white dude and JUST relating to that despite that character being nothing like you at all. So many people have been doing that for the longest time. Most of my cinematic “faves” and heroes were male when I was a kid, and I used to think of it as like a cool thing (you know like in a childish tomboy-ish sort of way) until I grew and realized that it was kind of sad because that wasn’t necessarily by choice but because there weren’t that many other “options” to look up to. So you just used your imagination and related to it in the ways you could. I have trouble understanding why white guys can’t return that favor at least every once in a while.

No one’s trying to shut the doors of the industy right in front of white guys’ or people’s faces, but maybe try to realize that with more diverse stories being told, not everyone needs to look like you for you to feel empathy and connection with that character or story.

I'm a white guy but some of my favorite childhood heroes weren't white. For a long time Bruce Lee was my number one guy. Then it was Michael Jordan and Ronaldo (the original Ronaldo) in sports. In terms of entertainment I had Lando as my second favorite Star Wars character (after Han) and Wesley Snipes' Simon Phoenix my favorite action villain and his Blade my second favorite superhero after Batman. Their skin color wasn't a problem and it wasn't an advantage. I don't think kids really see color when they pick their heroes, it's only later when for some it becomes an issue.

Unfortunately, there were very few action leads that were non-white back in the day. You had the Asian stars, you had Wesley Snipes, Danny Glover (more supporting, though) and Action Jackson and... that's about it. You had Denzel in dramas. And very few women of color.

I like diversifying the leads now not because it changes something for me. It really doesn't matter. But because it gives a chance to more talented actors to shine which they most definitely need.

I liked Get Out (gave it four out of five) but didn’t love it, thought it was overrated as a, in my book at least, very good but not what I would call a groundbreaking horror.

This?

A masterpiece. And Lupita was a godsend in the form of new Ripley for the new age. I need to process everything first but I truly feel like Us provides a solid base for years of discussion, just pop cultural references and inspirations alone could make for a nice movie talk.

Pretty much agree with everyone else in here. I love what Peele said. Honest and doesn't care about the backlash which if you read the article shouldn't even be one. The headline did a disservice to what he really meant and said. I love the fact that a movie like this got made and made the amount of money and received the critical acclaim that it has. I would have never thought movies made like this would have the kind of impact that they are now.

The best a movie with a cast like this would have done is a Spike Lee movie or some of the movies of the late 90s and early to mid-2000s like a romantic comedies/dramas like Best Man, Love & Basketball, Love Jones, The Wood or a comedy like Barbershop or some Tyler Perry movie. Those movies were targeted for and mostly seen by people like me but didn't make $70 million in one weekend. The actors in those movies didn't get many lead roles after those movies except Terrence Howard and Ice Cube(but he's Ice Cube). Lupita, Winston Duke are now well know names and faces that a decade ago wouldn't have been that way. Lupita is an Oscar Winner and she just now is getting her first leading role in a movie. So if Peele's movie has the power and clout to put people that haven't gotten opportunities to shine in his movies that are seen by everyone I'm all for it.
Last edited by bootsy on March 30th, 2019, 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

m4st4 wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 2:12 am
I liked Get Out (gave it four out of five) but didn’t love it, thought it was overrated as a, in my book at least, very good but not what I would call a groundbreaking horror.

This?

A masterpiece. And Lupita was a godsend in the form of new Ripley for the new age. I need to process everything first but I truly feel like Us provides a solid base for years of discussion, just pop cultural references and inspirations alone could make for a nice movie talk.
This is so on point. You really do need to process this movie and to me it requires repeat viewings. After I saw it last weekend, my wife and brother in law asked me what I thought and I said 'I think I liked it but I need to process it and see what others thought and got out of it.' I always like to get other people's view of a movie I just saw or have seen positive or negative. To view it as 'I didn't look at it from that angle, maybe they have a point'. Years from now I might think this movie is a masterpiece or just an ok movie. I don't think I will flat out hate. In some aspects, I liked it more than Get Out.