Us (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Older people are still shown being strongly tethered. They're literally force-feeding or shaking as if they're riding a roller coaster against their will.

Bacon wrote:
March 28th, 2019, 12:31 am
Older people are still shown being strongly tethered. They're literally force-feeding or shaking as if they're riding a roller coaster against their will.
obviously yes but
1.) Adelaide obviously helps untether the tethered over time so they can break out--it's unclear what the rules are, IE how much of the time they're tethered of the day, but this seems to be, more or less, possibly what happened right.

2.) Regardless, the people with the strongest tether are the youngest since the tether is still so new and strong they are less able to transition to either "less tethered" or "totally untethered."

Not that I think the internal logic of these elements are that important to Us overall, but I buy this.

-Vader

Going tomorrow, so hyped!

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 8:08 pm
prowlercomesaround wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 6:28 pm
Imagine if a white music producer with a track record in let’s say the hip-hop and rap genre suddenly refused to work with black people simply because he’d "heard that music before". The backlash would be immense
if you said hip hop because its predominantly black / the inverse of movies being predominantly white, then you surely understand peeles reasoning
Lolz.£

Imagine if a white music producer with a track record in let’s say the hip-hop and rap genre suddenly refused to work with black people simply because he’d "heard that music before". The backlash would be immense
Ever seen a bad analogy? I see one right in front of me.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 8:08 pm
if you said hip hop because its predominantly black / the inverse of movies being predominantly white, then you surely understand peeles reasoning
Not criticizing his intentions, just thought it was a very stupid thing to say

There has been years of discrimination towards black people in the film industry, as the result, the history of American cinema has been overwhelmingly white.

No one has stopped white people from becoming successful hip-hop singers, they can always do it if they are good at it and have luck, money or know the right people.

So when Peele says I'm going to do my part to balance things out a little bit because of years of injustice, that sounds reasonable.

But your imaginary white music producer is simply racist, since he's just mad that people of his/her race couldn't do as well as black people despite the circumstances being fair. Get it?

Bacon wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 6:18 pm
It'd be different if Peele came out and said that Us was not made for or should not be seen by a specific audience.
Huh. Is that an attempt to throw a jab at Larson?£

Master Virgo wrote:
March 28th, 2019, 3:37 am
There has been years of discrimination towards black people in the film industry, as the result, the history of American cinema has been overwhelmingly white.

No one has stopped white people from becoming successful hip-hop singers, they can always do it if they are good at it and have luck, money or know the right people.

So when Peele says I'm going to do my part to balance things out a little bit because of years of injustice, that sounds reasonable.

But your imaginary white music producer is simply racist, since he's just mad that people of his/her race couldn't do as well as black people despite the circumstances being fair. Get it?
If only he would’ve said that instead of “I don’t see myself casting X in a leading role because of X’s skin colour”. And particularly the “I’ve seen that movie” line borders on generalization.

I fully understand that he’s not saying these things with ill intent but wants to cast more black people in starring roles. Not disagreeing with that at all as I said in my previous post. I guess what I’m trying to say is that Black people should be able to play leads in films without it being race related.

March 28th, 2019, 4:11 am
I guess what I’m trying to say is that Black people should be able to play leads in films without it being race related.
That's the thing, you can't divorce race from this conversation period. It's going to play a role no matter what, so acting as though this isn't our reality is just disingenuous.

All Peele is saying is that we've seen white guy movies 95% for the last 120 years. It's time for more diverse voices to be heard. How isn't that all positive?

-Vader

^ Definitely positive, and correct me if I’m not understanding you here, but what if a director wants to cast black leads in a movie that isn’t about race?