If Beale Street Could Talk (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

As someone who didn’t really connect with Moonlight, this hit me hard.

Along with 4 or 5 other movies, yet another 2018 masterpiece in formalistic filmmaking. just ridiculously beautiful.

-Vader

Apparently one of Barack Hussein Obama's favorite films of the year.

I'm scared to watch this film. I just know I'm going to cry my eyes out. The trailers have had me in tears every time I saw them.

Vader182 wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 9:42 pm
As someone who didn’t really connect with Moonlight, this hit me hard.
Interesting... It's the other way for me. This left me in the cold.

Hopeful that this gets more than the one theater it's listed to show in my area because that theater had bed bugs. Gonna be pissed if that is the only theater showing this movie.

The theater near my house is finally screening this!

Hope to see it next week!

I'm so mad at myself for being in the wrong mindset and comparing this to Moonlight so much while watching it. It's its own thing, and it's ridiculously beautiful. Like
slow-motion shots of people smoking in Wong Kar-wai fashion beautiful, and I didn't mind it one bit.
It's kind of like CMBYN last year, another movie in which the world was so beautiful that I just wanted to jump in and be with those characters. I can't wait to see this again, this time fully prepared to just bask in the sheer beauty of this world.
I loved how Jenkins used the voiceover to handle so much of the plot. He's almost completely uninterested in the plot, whereas a lot of other filmmakers might treat this as a crime procedural. He's here to celebrate love, not the tragic downfall of a young black couple. My only issue is I think he overused the Demme close-up, but when he does it as well as he can (link for reference), I guess he can use it as much as he wants too.
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/paul- ... 202022891/