Birds of Prey and the fantabulous emancipation of one harley quinn (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
While I don't mind that we're not getting to see more of the abusive relationship just to show what that's like because I think you can just as well start with her breaking up with him and then make the whole movie about her. It's not this great a loss, specifically, when it comes to story. Of course we'll see how that turns out in the finished film.

But I do think it's a pity that Leto is completely out. With a better script and direction, we still could've had a great Joker. I mean sure, not all of Leto's work was great but the sheer intensity he brought to it was great. So were the scenes of him and Robbie at Ace chemicals and the one where they fight on the road. It could've been something really good.

I mean, nothing prevents them from doing flashbacks to give the general moviegoing public more of a sense of what their relationship is like. I'm not saying we need to see a 'Carlo beats Connie'-style sequence but in essence Harley's relationship to the Joker is an abusive relationship where he beats her and then lies to her and she comes back to him. Even if it's a very uncomfortable topic, it could also be a really powerful story of how she leaves that monster behind for good. I also don't think it's a thing that should just be brushed aside as something that's easy to get out of. To just have her cut ties like that seems to do somewhat of a disservice to the importance that this kind of topic deserves imo but again, it depends on how it's done and how they're going to approach this.

Whether some fans like it or not, Harley's origin is tied to the Joker, his influence on her. And in these films we never have or likely will get to see anything of depth on that.

Early reactions are pretty darn good. Lovely to see good words about Ewan and MEW.

Last edited by Master Virgo on January 29th, 2020, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good to hear. Wanted this to be good, but the ideas I heard from it seemed to really worry me about potential controversy (as I stated previously).

Saying a character is funny and plays like a side character in The Tick is an exciting compliment (depending on the version of The Tick, I guess though).

This is good and all but I’m always skeptical of early twitter reactions to this type of movie.

Watched this today and id pretty damn fun.

Early reactions mean nothing

It's better than a lot of people trashing the movie right from the start