Birds of Prey and the fantabulous emancipation of one harley quinn (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I believe in this team of girls
oh shit the fact that they're all under 18 is even more impressive.

With Charlie's Angels and Dark Fate both flopping big time fairly recently, female team up films could have really benefitted from a good hit. Sucks.

But it's also bad for Gunn's film since Robbie's Harley was supposed to be their biggest selling ticket.

It's a February release and kinda bonkers and not what people generally think of when they hear 'superhero comicbook adaptation'. Most people likely expect huge set-pieces with lots of CG special effects....which is not what this is. This film has well-choreographed action, style and a tone all its own. But yeah, the same people will likely complain in a few months how these superhero films are all the same and yet won't go watch films in the genre like this one that are actually doing something different. Typical.

Batfan175 wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 12:33 pm
It's a February release and kinda bonkers and not what people generally think of when they hear 'superhero comicbook adaptation'. Most people likely expect huge set-pieces with lots of CG special effects....which is not what this is. This film has well-choreographed action, style and a tone all its own. But yeah, the same people will likely complain in a few months how these superhero films are all the same and yet won't go watch films in the genre like this one that are actually doing something different. Typical.
Joker, Deadpool, Logan. Try again.

Artemis wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:15 am
Correction: women. As a non English speaker I may, from time to time, use a wrong word. Stop stirring shit where there's none. :thumbup:

Also even if you said “girls” without the second language element, who cares? Lol. People say things like “girl power” when describing these movies all the time.

Allstar wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 2:08 pm
Also even if you said “girls” without the second language element, who cares? Lol. People say things like “girl power” when describing these movies all the time.
Right, girl power!

It's mainly the problamatic culture around the term. Calling a young man, a boy, has an almost negative load to it, dudes like to be called men, not boys, while girl is regarded as a positive thing. As if you have not aged too much to be called a woman yet, which is apparently a good thing? Which all stems from gendered ageism.

And no, don't get offended Nolan fans. I'm not targeting every person who has engaged these terms. It's a discussion about issues with language and culture. Don't take it personally for God's sake. m4 broke up with me over sth similar last year, so.. just saying.

Noted.

m4st4 wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 1:54 pm
Artemis wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:15 am
Correction: women. As a non English speaker I may, from time to time, use a wrong word. Stop stirring shit where there's none. :thumbup:
I wasn't stirring shit. I was just making a semantics joke. Had no ill intention against you or anything.