Top Ten Movies of 2018

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
haven’t we already come to the conclusion that a film goes by its first non festival release date? in which case the death of stalin IS 2017

how is this still debated

it's the domestic release date of your country that is literally the only fair way to do it

it's what the US *and* UK critics do

AND the award voting bodies of like literally every country

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 7:43 pm

it's the domestic release date of your country that is literally the only fair way to do it

-Vader
But-but-but Virgo said

Master Virgo wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 2:24 pm
The film was released in its country of origin first in 2017. It is by definition a 2017 movie. Same as Paddington 2 and You Were Never Really Here.£
Always this.

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
They do because they can't go back and update their previous year's top ten lists, which they had to release before the end of the year in some cases. For instance Berardinelli went on and included A Separation in his top ten of 2012. That is not quite the case here.

Also this is an international forum. If some are going to vote for a film in one year, and others, in the year after, it's going to create a messy situation for a collective top ten or our awards stuff. I suppose we could make an exception for something like You Were Never.. where almost none of us had seen it, before mid 2018, but in general, for instance we couldn't count the votes of our American members for Moonlight in 2016, and also having some European or Australian members vote for it in 2017.£

this is the way Sight and Sound, the most prestigious film publication in the world, which is international and polls critics from the U.S., UK and rest of Europe, conducts their top ten lists.

does this introduce confounds? yes, but it's the lesser of all evils. IE, You Were Never Really here showing up on the 2017 AND 2018 Sight and Sound lists.

if this is good enough for Sight and Sound, certainly it's good enough for Nolanfans.

-Vader

Again, they have no other choice. Professional critics have deadlines, they can not go back and change their picks, so they have to do it that way. We however can update our lists here. And we have plenty of time for everyone to catch up, Paddington 2 and Stalin for instance were both available before our deadline last year.

Not that I'm dictating things here, lol. Obviously anyone can do whatever they like with their own lists. I'm simply arguing for this point.£

hey I guess I can scrap like half of my list then.

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
domestic festival/limited release, or domestic wide release?