Avengers: Endgame (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Oku
I was waiting for a dramatic scene where Cap and Tony amended their friendship and made it worth the build-up of the two never meeting in Infinity War, but that never came.

Instead, they just sort of made up but not really, and the vibe that I got was that they merely tolerated each other's presence temporarily for the sake of fighting against a common enemy.

So I found it amusing that Cap was the first one standing behind the most important people in Tony's life at his funeral, as if he was ever that close to Tony. (Not to mention the fact that apparently the majority of the people at the funeral are the Avengers, people that he only knew for a few years and only through work. Like, where are the people from the other 90% of Tony's 50-something-year life? Friends who aren't from work? Grandparents? Cousins?)

Has great moments and really packs an emotional punch at times. I don’t know if it sticks it’s landing though. I thought the pacing towards the end was kind of awkward and Caps final scene could have been better.
agree with others Bucky should have gotten the shield.

Bacon wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 6:34 pm
Allstar wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 6:26 pm
You took out more than half of what he said that I quoted and I already clarified the aspect I was agreeing with. :facepalm:
Except that the first half you're "agreeing with" is directly connected with the second half statement. It's saying the exact same thing.
The time travel rules don't really make sense the way they do it, based on what? Time travel makes sense and works based on the rules a film establishes and applies. Time travel is a concept recognised within science fiction. There are no set "rules".
This statement, which you agreed with, is blatantly false. The post wasn't just about how time travel doesn't make sense and can't make sense, it was clarifying that different films establish different rules. I agree with this, but the rules Endgame makes it doesn't follow. We don't need to be acting like it does and defending it to people complaining about it, we need to focus on how it doesn't even really matter (like what Vader said).

The issue here, that we all actually agree with but you're continuing to ignore because you want to seem "right", is not that the time travel actually makes sense and people don't understand its rules. The problem is that people are over analyzing time travel in a well-written, well-executed comic book movie and letting it overshadow just how fantastic the film is, and that's not something worth doing.
Hey look I don't mean to drag this on. Just want to clarify, I'm not trying to over analyze anything or state that people don't understand anything. I was just replying to your initial post where you were analyzing and criticising the time travel in this movie and how it doesn't make sense. It came across to me like it took away from your enjoyment of the movie or something. My bad if I was wrong.

My point was Endgame establishes it's rules, and in the broadest terms it sticks to those rules. No need to over think it and find a hole. This isn't hard science nor is it a science fiction movie intended to challenge the audience. This is a comic book movie as you say. It appeals to the kid in us. For me though the basics of what it was trying to achieve in terms of it's time travel plot are there and that's all that matters.

I think it’s undeniable RDJ is the MVP of the cast right?

Allstar wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 2:02 am
Yeah definitely

Allstar wrote:
As per usual for the MCU

Allstar wrote:
Seeing a lot of critic going with Evans as MVP.
I would like to go with Renner because he was rarely well-served in previous films, and he was so great in this one. Rudd also did a wonderful work. And Johannson.
I may prefer RDJ in Ultron and CW, where his character grows darker. But, I'll see on rewatch.
RDJ especially nailed his first scenes for me, before the five years lap. I wasn't completely sold on the scene with Slattery, but more because of the writing.

Demoph wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 4:15 am
Allstar wrote:
I would like to go with Renner because he was rarely well-served in previous films, and he was so great in this one. Rudd also did a wonderful work. And Johannson.
I may prefer RDJ in Ultron and CW, where his character grows darker. But, I'll see on rewatch.
RDJ especially nailed his first scenes for me, before the five years lap. I wasn't completely sold on the scene with Slattery, but more because of the writing.
The sandwich scene stands out as the most memorable scene to me right now. She's perfect in it and you can see the 5 years of trauma/post-trauma... all in her eyes.

anarchy wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 4:31 am
Demoph wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 4:15 am
Allstar wrote:
The sandwich scene stands out as the most memorable scene to me right now. She's perfect in it and you can see the 5 years of trauma/post-trauma... all in her eyes.
https://twitter.com/mattzollerseitz/sta ... 2256275457
https://twitter.com/mattzollerseitz/sta ... 4454795264

Thinking about this movie some more, I don't think it does itself any favours by setting out its rules and then proceeding to break them on multiple occasions as is convenient. I liked the first third best because that's when the characters are actually processing grief and dealing with heavy stuff and by the end it's just another bright and colourful explosion of nonsense onscreen. There are also a bunch of characters who the movie does not handle well in a number of ways (Thor and Black Widow being just some examples). The stuff that works well (Nebula and Steve Rogers) works well enough that it distracts you from the fact that you're once again being given empty calories.

I do not think this is a film that has any lasting power, partly because it is not really about anything, partly because it has some rather terrible ideas (let's continuously fat-shame via jokes and fridging is apparently ok now?) and lackluster execution. It caps off a series of 20 films, sure, but it does so in a way that is overly long, bloated and in a manner that requires you to switch off the critical part of your brain because of the pitfalls the film's story creates for itself...none of which was something this film had to do. The writers decided to go down this road willingly. The result is a deeply mixed bag that is enjoyable when you're not thinking about it. Not sure that's the cinematic ideal we want to strive for just to keep our love for Disney going though.

I also despise the online discourse around these films generally, in part because people get shouted down when they are not 100% surrendering to the hype and advertising campaigns and you get labeled a hater if you are trying to come at these things from a critical perspective. When people tell critics 'don't discuss the film, you're spoiling it by mentioning a single element of the story', that is no longer healthy discourse imo, especially since film critics need to discuss films outside of the advertising machine and without indulging the addiction to the hype that many viewers have fallen prey to. You guys know the Odyssey, if you're asking people to not talk about how there is a cyclops in that story because you don't want spoilers, I'd seriously question whether or not you value art.

But congratulations to Marvel for making a film good enough to convince a whole bunch of people that these films are anything other than barely passable: what's a soundtrack? But again, memorable music was never something the MCU was aiming for. How do you deal with anger? Offscreen of course because that's not interesting or anything.
Last edited by Batfan175 on April 28th, 2019, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.